Rib Risotto

CarbonToe

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I smoked a few racks of ribs last weekend and we had one left so I bagged it up and popped it into the fridge.

Yesterday hungry, with not much food in the house we decided to smash two cultures together and see what turned up, and I’m so glad we did, it was a hit! :crazy:

Feel free to throw in whatever you had lying about but this is what I used:

1 x Smoked Rack Ribs, Cooled, Meat Removed, and roughly chopped/shredded.
2 x Stalks Celery
1 x Onion
½ Red Pepper
½ Green Pepper
Garlic (2 x cloves)
Large Glass Nolly Pratt (Vermouth)
Slug of Bourbon
1/8 Cup Bacon Grease
8 or 9oz Risotto Rice (Arborio)
Chicken Stock (1½ Pints approx.)
¾ Cup BBQ Sauce (I used a homemade one)
Salt, Pepper & a little rub.
(All measurements are estimated! Serves 2!!)

Peel and finely Chop Onion. Run over celery with a peeler to remove strands and chop finely. Remove white and seeds from the inside of both halves pepper and chop into rough 1cm pieces. Put a Largish saucepan over a medium heat and pop in the bacon grease. When that has got hot pop in the Onion, Peppers and Celery. Sweat them down without colouring. Whilst they are cooking crush and chop the garlic and throw it in the pan.

When the Onions are soft throw in the rice and give it a good stir. You want to slightly cook/toast the rice. The rice will burn if left so give it a stir every minute. When that’s done tip in 2/3 of the Vermouth (you could always use white wine or swap it out for stock) and give the rice a good stir. Keep it moving about until all the vermouth has evaporated. If its bubbling hard turn the heat down, you’re after a slow blub blub!!! Next start putting in the chicken stock 1 ladle at a time constantly stirring the rice only adding the next ladle when the first has almost disappeared.

After about 20-30 mins of adding the stock and stirring the rice should be starting to soften. You want to get it so there is a slight bite when tasted. You might not have to add all the stock. Add the remaining vermouth, BBQ Sauce and bourdon and give the risotto a good stir to mix it all up. Pop in the rib meat and fold it in. Be careful as you don’t want the meat to break up. When the meat has warmed through, taste, if needed season with a little salt and pepper.

Serve in large bowls and sprinkle with a little rub before eating.

We loved it. Hope you like it as well! :p

Attachments

• RibRisotto - Small.JPG
    RibRisotto - Small.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 68
Thanks for the post, recipe and pron. Something different for sure.

Back