How Long????

tonto1117

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Reaction score
For all of you that have been skilled and lucky enough to win a GC OR RGC....how many comps had you cooked before that wonderfull day??

30 over 7 years. First year 1 then 3 then 6, 6, 6, 5 and then my 3rd one this year. But it took me 5 years to learn that what I liked wasn't what the judges wanted or it would have been sooner.

I don't know.. as soon as I find out, I will let you know... :eek: :cool: :mrgreen:

You will probably hear me from where I am to where you are.... Just like I will hear you when you get yours.....

Bill :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

We won the 5th or 6th contest we cooked. Then it took us 3 years to win a second one !

I got mine in my 8th... Which technically would have been my third year of competing. Although, I took 3 years off to let my girls get a little bigger... As they didn't want me to leave the house without them...

Last edited:
I guess I'm one of the few who won their first time out at Harpoon in 2003. Never thinking lightning would strike twice we on the next day at the grilling contest. the next year we won 1 grand and 2 reserves then it's just been a few more reserves, still looking for our 3rd BBQ grand.

We won the 2nd competition we entered. We've done 10 KCBS contests since and haven't finished higher than 4th.

If you took an infinite number of Totally Que-Less teams and an infinite number of Competitions we would produce an RGC or GC in exactly 917 contests.

Needless to say, we are still waiting.

Reserve - Five years... about 40 contests
Grand - Seven years... about 70 contests

On our 9th competition we got a RGC. We are still a ways from a GC but you never know.

Thanks, your responses help to put this all in perspective. We only began in May. We got a Lang, a couple of ez ups and a gaggle of thermos and set off to have some fun cooking good bbq. Whoa, a few short months later, and a whopping four comps under our belt and we are totally hooked. We are starting to realize it is a "marathon", not a sprint.

Thanks, your responses help to put this all in perspective. We only began in May. We got a Lang, a couple of ez ups and a gaggle of thermos and set off to have some fun cooking good bbq. Whoa, a few short months later, and a whopping four comps under our belt and we are totally hooked. We are starting to realize it is a "marathon", not a sprint.

Whatever you do, don't give up! We have smelled up the joint plenty in some contests we have competed in. We started off making our own rubs and sauces which was a mistake. We were trying to reinvent the wheel. We have even fallen asleep and the cooker went out. In terms of bad things, you name it, we have done it. Things have started to click when we got the Spicewine and had a little help from our friends. We now concentrate on cooking each meat as close to perfect as we can and use commercial rubs and sauces. Our cooker in conjunction with a BBQ Guru keeps our temperatures precise and for as long as we need. It gives us a good nights sleep so we can be well rested and alert. We have expanded our team to six members so three do the grilling and three do the BBQ with the others lending a hand. With each contest things go a little smoother. We also never loose sight of the fact that we go there to have fun and socialize no matter how we do.

I have a buddy (competitor) that has a saying, and he will tell me every time I talk to him.

Any given weekend can be yours. Everyone has a good weekend, and a bad weekend. You just never know when the great weekend will be yours. Unless you are there, you will never get it, someone else will.....

So, with that said, I am going again... one last time this year.... I wish I would get called, but you never know. I was totally shocked the very first comp I went to, we got a call for 4th place pork.... so far, that is the only one, but we have come close other times.... so, try, try, again.....

Bill

Whatever you do, don't give up! We have smelled up the joint plenty in some contests we have competed in. We started off making our own rubs and sauces which was a mistake. We were trying to reinvent the wheel. We have even fallen asleep and the cooker went out. In terms of bad things, you name it, we have done it. Things have started to click when we got the Spicewine and had a little help from our friends. We now concentrate on cooking each meat as close to perfect as we can and use commercial rubs and sauces. Our cooker in conjunction with a BBQ Guru keeps our temperatures precise and for as long as we need. It gives us a good nights sleep so we can be well rested and alert. We have expanded our team to six members so three do the grilling and three do the BBQ with the others lending a hand. With each contest things go a little smoother. We also never loose sight of the fact that we go there to have fun and socialize no matter how we do.

Thanks Guy....we have no intentions of giving up. Actually we are pretty satisfied with our first 4 comp year...2 walks in ribs, 2 walks in pork(one being a third pace) 1 in chicken and a 6th overall was our highest finish. Brisket is our downfall - 15th is our highest (out of 40). We plan to take a cooking class early next spring (Rod and Johnny's class). Totally agree with your last line......need to remember that first and foremost, after all it's not like were in it for the money:wink:

[QUOTE}smoke-n-my-i's]I have a buddy (competitor) that has a saying, and he will tell me every time I talk to him.

Any given weekend can be yours. Everyone has a good weekend, and a bad weekend. You just never know when the great weekend will be yours. Unless you are there, you will never get it, someone else will.....

So, with that said, I am going again... one last time this year.... I wish I would get called, but you never know. I was totally shocked the very first comp I went to, we got a call for 4th place pork.... so far, that is the only one, but we have come close other times.... so, try, try, again.....

Bill

I hear ya Bill :wink:.....best of luck and have a good time!!!!

2 years - 8 contests to get our 1st RGC. No GC yet but we are still going!

25 for my first pro RGC, and 27 (3 years) until my first pro GC.
I had 2 GC's earlier, but 1 was backyard and 1 was unsanctioned.
I'm a slow learner. :icon_clown

Back