View Single Post
Old 07-24-2013, 10:40 AM   #24
NRA4Life
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dan View Post
Have any of you catered out of your home, or are you still doing it???
Yes I did start out by "catering" out of my house, word of mouth advertising. Didn't do a lot of gigs, just enough to get my feet wet. Technically, I don't cater out of my "home" any more.

Quote:
My questions are, what kind of trouble may I run in to with the city/ county? Are they going to require inspections and such?
Not sure what kind of trouble you could get in with your local health department, but I would imagine it could involve a montetary fine. If you legitimized it, I'm sure they would inspect you like any other licensed establishment.

Quote:
I have a food handlers license, but I would like to keep this as a "side job" ie: under the table for a while, without any government interference, if you get my drift.
I'm sure there are many cash only jobs that don't get included as income with all types of businesses.

Quote:
Your thoughts????
Like I said I started out similarly, but this year I took the steps to get my competition trailer licensed as a "Mobile Food Unit" with the state of Ohio. Now it is licensed and is basically a legal mobile kitchen that I can prepare and sell BBQ out of and cater from. My comp/vending trailer is parked right next to my house, but all the food must be prepared inside my trailer, since the trailer is licensed and the house is not. It was really not all that difficult to get the trailer licensed, just contacted the health department and got the requirement, made a few minor additions to the trailer, paid my license fee, and got inspected and licensed. Not sure if you have a competition trailer, but those are the steps that I took to become legal. That and I'm insured. Hope that helps you.
[B]Superior SS-3[/B] - Courtesy of Gainesville Jaycees and Superior Smokers
Custom Built Reverse Flow Stickburner
[B]Weber[/B] 22.5" WSM
[B]Weber[/B] 26.75" OTG
[B]Weber[/B] Blue 2000 Stainless Performer
[B]Weber[/B] Red 1998 Stainless Performer
NRA4Life is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->