Cast Iron Grates ... GRRRRR .... w/ pic .... help

jasonjax

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
So I normally handle my cast iron fairly decent. I keep it in good condition etc. My pans and griddles usually stay in good shape.

And then there is this grate....

The grate over the direct heat of my PG-500 is a PITA to try and keep seasoned.

Last night I used a cast iron griddle to cook some steaks on because I wanted to crust up the whole surface of the steak so I had cast iron on cast iron action which seemed to take the rust action to the next level.

I was also cooking over 600 degrees for quite some time with all the steaks I cooked.

Take a look at the picture below please. This is after re-seasoning several times. Notice the still rust colored sheen it has even though it is wiped clean and seems to be at bare metal. I imagine this is because it has lost all the original seasoning. Maybe the grill oil spray I'm using isn't cutting it? I usually spray before and after the cook and sometimes even inbetween meats if it seems to be getting extra "dried out".

Any thoughts here? Maybe coat it with some Crisco lard or something? I'm getting annoyed at not being able to keep this one in good shape.

Thanks guys. I know the brain-trust here can help if anyone can.

P.S. Ignore the smoke. I was in the process of re-re-re-seasoning it.

9070616601_328e34061b_c.jpg

I'm a noob so I may not know if this has any negative effects, but I would take a drill or angle grinder with a wire brush to it to knock out the rust then re season it

Clean it well and soak it in hot lemon juice to pickle it and remove any rust in the pores. rinse it in real not water so it dries quickly, then coat it with Flack seed oil( health food store) and season it. Season it> Once day for a week Once a week for a month and Once a month there after.

I like that! I've heard a couple of folks mention Flaxseed now. I will give that a shot, Bluedawg. Thanks.

Google your question.
I did that and they say flaxseed oil but is kinda costly.
Have you tried bacon fat?

No seasoning will last at 600 degrees no matter what you put on it.After searing when it cools somewhat oil it again to prevent rust.

No seasoning will last at 600 degrees no matter what you put on it.After searing when it cools somewhat oil it again to prevent rust.

I spray it down with "Grilling Oil" after every cook. I am just wondering if exactly what you're saying is the real issue. Can I even get a lasting seasoning in the metal if I am cooking at very high heat almost always.

I guess at this point I just need to super season it the right way like Bluedawg mentions and then try again. If it continues to rust I may have to start thinking of alternatives with a custom cut SS grate or something, which is a real shame because I like my cast iron.

I ditched the CI grates on my Weber kettle for the same reason. I just could not keep them seasoned.

I tried to pull them off the grill right after my cooks, and hang them inside. That worked, but all it took was for me to let the grate sit on the grill for one night, and rust showed up. If it rained overnight, I was seriously farked.

I finally gave up on them. The costs seriously outweighed the costs.

CD

The only cast iron grates I've ever liked over fire are my porcelain coated ones. All others are a PITA IMO, basically like CD said, not worth the effort no matter how diligent of a seasoning program I kept after. YMMV......

ff

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=80748&stc=1&d=1371522653

This is what I have been using, heck I even take a big chug now and then. I also have soaked grates in a mix of 50/50 white vinegar and water over night for the rust. After rinsing and drying I put on a light coat of this stuff, wipe any excess off, less is better than more. If it will fit in you house oven bake it about an hour at 350/400. Repeat if need be. Have not tried bludawg's method but I think that would work as well.

Side note, cooked some chicken breast in a 500 degree oven in a pre heated cast iron pan last night, with nothing but the chicken, it looked better than ever when I cleaned it up later.

I would not coat it with flax before or after each cook it would be cost prohibitive, instead use cheap veg oil, but I have some good coconut oil, and may try, it has a very high smoke point.

After saying all that, I think if you just wire brush it, and wipe it down before cooking it will be fine, just except that it will rust a bit between cooks, but it certainly will not effect you or your food.
Dave

Attachments

• Image06172013211054.jpg
    Image06172013211054.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 283
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=80748&stc=1&d=1371522653

This is what I have been using, heck I even take a big chug now and then. I also have soaked grates in a mix of 50/50 white vinegar and water over night for the rust. After rinsing and drying I put on a light coat of this stuff, wipe any excess off, less is better than more. If it will fit in you house oven bake it about an hour at 350/400. Repeat if need be. Have not tried bludawg's method but I think that would work as well.

Side note, cooked some chicken breast in a 500 degree oven in a pre heated cast iron pan last night, with nothing but the chicken, it looked better than ever when I cleaned it up later.

I would not coat it with flax before or after each cook it would be cost prohibitive, instead use cheap veg oil, but I have some good coconut oil, and may try, it has a very high smoke point.

After saying all that, I think if you just wire brush it, and wipe it down before cooking it will be fine, just except that it will rust a bit between cooks, but it certainly will not effect you or your food.
Dave
this is the way to go . i love cast iron . and the way it cooks. But i cook low and slow.

Flax seed oil is great on castiron.. I use it on all mine although im with the others that say no oil is gonna last at searing temps

For all my CI grates, I keep a squirt or spray bottle of peanut oil on hand and as they cool after a cook (< 250*) I scrub them with a wire bripush then spray them down. Never seen a spot of rust and they are always ready for the next cook. based on comments above, I might switch to flaxseed oil, but my method works so I'm sticking with it.

I had the exact same problem in my Weber Genesis. I had upgraded from the grates that came with it to cast iron grates and they were not cheap. I could not keep them seasoned and I didn't like the idea of cooking on rusty grates. I finally just tossed them and purchased the porcelin coated cast iron grates and I love em.

Back