BH is based off of honey or at least honey is a strong flavor in it as far as I can tell.

I bought some USDA choice ribeyes, and my plan all week was to grill one this weekend. So, I decided to make one of my favorite sauces, a mushroom pepper corn sauce to go on both my steak, and the nice looking asparagus I saw at the grocery store .

I did my normal 24 hour dry treatment of the ribeye in the fridge, and seasoned it with k-salt and pepper.

The sauce was made earlier in the day. I started by making some clarified butter.

While that was working, I ground some peppercorns in the mortar and pestle.

I reduced some beef stock and the fresh ground pepper. Then, I added a mixture of heavy cream, some of that clarified butter, and a little bit of brandy. And, simmered that down to concentrate flavors and thicken up. Then, I added the mushrooms, and cooked it down a little more.

Then, I tossed the steak on the grill. When it was done, I foil wrapped it and let it rest. Medium rare, of course.

While the steak was resting, I grilled some fresh asparagus.

And, here is how it all turned out. Enjoy the view. I certainly enjoyed the meal.

CD

Great cook CD.

Since you didn't show a photo of it being cooked on the grill, can you describe the experience so the rest of us can imagine what it was like to grill that steak? :heh:

:becky:

Can I get some ribs with my sauce?:becky:
IMG_0311.jpg

For Christmas I was given (not as a X-mas gift, but offloaded onto me) a jar of Dreamland BBQ Sauce. When I posted a question asking about Dreamland, I got some recommendations I wanted to try.

I decided to do up some Chicken with the Dreamland sauce like Phil described, and enter it in the Throwdown.

Here was Phil's suggestion to me on using the sauce...
Q up a couple of chickens to about 165. (or jsut roast them)

Pull all the meat off the bones into a big pan or wok, douse with Dreamland BBQ sauce and heat on the stove for 7-8 minutes tossing the meat and getting it well covered(and bring temps up higher). Add more sauce and serve that with garlic bread or toasted rolls....

THEN talk to us.. :)

This is a 'go to' recipe I ALWAYS serve for football games.. or friends just hanging out.. its good stuff. If you dont like it, i'll buy any sauce u dont want.:becky: . i always have a few jars in the house.. always include it in orders, etc..
Sunday night I made up some chicken along with an experimental brisket flat for my Brisket Cooked Like Tri-Tip thread. There was a lot more chicken left over than the brisket by the end of dinner, much to my surprise.

So I took some of that leftover chicken today and put it in a pan with some sauce, and put that on the grill over indirect heat. Next to the chicken is some Au Gratin Potatoes I cooked along with it.
r_IMG_1286.jpg

Then I went in and prepped some Apple for dessert inside a foil packet and tossed that on after rotating the dishes in the grill.
r_IMG_1287.jpg

When things were getting nearly done, I took a piece of bread with some Pepper Jack and put it in the broiler just long enough to melt the cheese over the bread.
r_IMG_1288.jpg

Then I took the finished goods off of the grill.
r_IMG_1289.jpg

This BBQ Chicken Sammich was farking AWESOME!:hungry::thumb::nod: Thanks for the recommendation Phil!:clap: This sauce is REALLY damn good on chicken like this.:thumb:
r_IMG_1297.jpg

Since you didn't show a photo of it being cooked on the grill, can you describe the experience so the rest of us can imagine what it was like to grill that steak? :heh:

:becky:

I loved the way BBQ4FUN's ribs looked, and wanted to imagine what they tasted like. I'm an artsy kind of guy. BTW, I imagine they taste quite good. :thumb:

CD

That really does look tasty, biggie, but do I ever feel stupid. I went and made my own sauce from scratch for the "saucy" throwdown. What was I thinking. :doh:

CD :becky:

That looks great, Chris, but for the voting I think you need to tell us how many pieces of chicken you used.
OK, well, I used the leftover meat from the chicken I cut up on Sunday. The parts I cooked up were 2 breasts, 2 wings, 2 things and 2 drumsticks. The other bits were used for stock. So I guess that is 2+2+2+2=8 pieces of chicken.

Cool, that's an even number. I should be safe.

That really does look tasty, biggie, but do I ever feel stupid. I went and made my own sauce from scratch for the "saucy" throwdown. What was I thinking. :doh:

I have no idea. I really expected a can of cream-of-mushroom soup and a slab of that boxed cheese on top. You're never going to get any votes making it from scratch. :crazy:

Well, I could have talked about the Mornay sauce used in my Au Gratin potatoes, made from a blonde roux made with choped garlic sauteed in the butter, whole milk and cheddar cheese. However, I didn't want to come off all snooty or anything like that.:laugh: Especially since the other sides so far in this Throwdown don't have any sauces on them!:becky:

Then there is the sauce I created in the apples, which is arguably a caramel sauce.

Last edited:
Well, I could have talked about the Mornay sauce used in my Au Gratin potatoes, made from a blonde roux made with choped garlic sauteed in the butter, whole milk and cheddar cheese. However, I didn't want to come off all snooty or anything like that.:laugh: Especially since the other sides so far in this Throwdown don't have any sauces on them!:becky:

Then there is the sauce I created in the apples, which is arguably a caramel sauce.

Oh, please tell us about the Mornay sauce used in your Au Gratin potatoes. Made from scratch, I'm sure.

Oh, please tell us about the Mornay sauce used in your Au Gratin potatoes. Made from scratch, I'm sure.

I described the sauce completely up above. The rest of the dish was just sliced red potatoes placed in the pan, the sauce poured over, then topped with panko bread crumbs and parmesan. Yes, it was all made from scratch. I can't stand the boxed crap, just the smell of that stuff makes me want to :puke:

We cook for real here. Even when it's SPAM!:laugh: Most people would probably use boxed cake mixes for their SPAM cakes. Not I.:thumb:

I have no idea. I really expected a can of cream-of-mushroom soup and a slab of that boxed cheese on top. You're never going to get any votes making it from scratch. :crazy:

Hey, I mixed the boxed cheese and the canned tomatoes and chilies with my own two hands, and stirred constantly while the cheese melted. :bow:

As for the cream of mushroom soup, it was the "Cook like a bigabyte" Throwdown, so I basically had to pretend to cook, or it wouldn't have been authentic. :becky:

CD

I described the sauce completely up above. The rest of the dish was just sliced red potatoes placed in the pan, the sauce poured over, then topped with panko bread crumbs and parmesan. Yes, it was all made from scratch. I can't stand the boxed crap, just the smell of that stuff makes me want to :puke:

We cook for real here. Even when it's SPAM!:laugh: Most people would probably use boxed cake mixes for their SPAM cakes. Not I.:thumb:

Okay, I guess I have to go back and read your entire post. I generally can't get past the first couple of sentences of your posts without nodding off, or losing faith in the human race.

Back