Does this sound right for 35 people

dataz722

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have been asked to do a party for about 35 people and a bunch of those are big eaters apparently. It was originally going to be pit beef but they have changed their mind. I had actually started another thread about that but it doesn't much matter now. It is my parents party so I am not looking to make any money at all but also don't want way too much or too little food.

Does this sound about right?

35-40lb pork butt (raw)
9 lbs of slaw
1/2 gallon bbq sauce
1.75 gallons of baked beans
4 or 5 dozen rolls

I figured those numbers out with 50% loss on the pork and 4oz servings but most people having multiple. 3oz of slaw per person, 3/4 cup of beans per person, and the sauce was pretty much a complete and total guess.

Also, any idea on the weight of 1.75 gallons of beans?

I have been asked to do a party for about 35 people and a bunch of those are big eaters apparently. It was originally going to be pit beef but they have changed their mind. I had actually started another thread about that but it doesn't much matter now. It is my parents party so I am not looking to make any money at all but also don't want way too much or too little food.

Does this sound about right?

35-40lb pork butt (raw)
9 lbs of slaw
1/2 gallon bbq sauce
1.75 gallons of baked beans
4 or 5 dozen rolls

I figured those numbers out with 50% loss on the pork and 4oz servings but most people having multiple. 3oz of slaw per person, 3/4 cup of beans per person, and the sauce was pretty much a complete and total guess.

Also, any idea on the weight of 1.75 gallons of beans?

Even with big eaters that's way too much meat for one meal.
I'd go with 25 pounds raw meat. That should yield at least 15 pounds.
The slaw is about right.
The beans - a #10 can (like Bush's) will serve about 22 per can.
Sauce and rolls is plenty.

Good luck.

It's your parents party and the folks are big eaters. 1/2 lb of cooked meat is NOT too much. So 35 to 40 lbs raw sounds good as I usually get a 50% yield.

Beans - if you doctor them you can start with a #10 can of bush's. Add onion, apples, raising, pulled pork, and whatever else you want - maybe a different type of bean. Plus Q sauce, ketchup, etc. Make 2 1/2 pans and it will serve the crowd but not with a lot left. I generally have 4 #10 cans plus a half pan of pork and it makes 6 1/2 pans.

We just did 10 lbs of slaw and put into 4 oz cups and had about 100 cups. I like more than a 4 oz serving and a 3 oz is just not enough IMHO.

35lbs raw meat plus 10% gives you 1/2lb per person plus a small buffer and is what I would cook. 38-40lbs

Back