old country over & under question

rober

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I took a peek at an old country over & under last week. the damper flap for controlling the cook chamber was loose as a goose which would make it hard to control temps. is this common or was it assembled incorrectly by the store?
it also hit the lower grate when opened. I have a 'good one' open range but would like something with a little bit bigger cook chamber. the good one marshall is too big & is also not in my budget. i'm also considering buying some steel plate & building box that I can stack on top of my open range. all i'd have to do is move the lid.

I havnt seen one with the damper in person. He had complaints about the slot getting clogged with grease n ash so made it where you could open it to clean. Is the smallest position still open about an 1/2".? The original had a 1/2" slot all the way across.

Last edited:
I did not notice. what concerned me was that the damper would not stay where you put it so you'd have no real control of the temperature. they had 3 & they were all the same. the wife was getting antsy so my inspection was cut short. i'll have to go & have another look. on my open range there are detent slots to keep the damper in place. like I said it could be the way the store assembled them.

I did not notice. what concerned me was that the damper would not stay where you put it so you'd have no real control of the temperature. they had 3 & they were all the same. the wife was getting antsy so my inspection was cut short. i'll have to go & have another look. on my open range there are detent slots to keep the damper in place. like I said it could be the way the store assembled them.

Ha! I have the same problem when looking at Que related stuff, my wife gives me the pained look of bamboo shoots under her finger nails. Then were off to spend hours looking at racks and racks of women's clothing.

thanks for the link. it looks like that's the way they are made. I should have known there'd be something on you tube.

I don't think it's meant to control temps. I Think it's just a feature to enable better cleaning of that area.

I see that now. because the flap in my open range is used to control the air flow in the cooking chamber I assumed the old country did too. & we all know what assume spells. about 1/2 way thru this clip you can see the open range flap in action. the operating lever moves over a piece of steel with detent slots to hold it in various positions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez5CybjDJ6w
I think i'll just fab up a steel box that I can put on top of the open range. I really do not have room for another smoker. I just found & bought an old brinkman vertical smoker for cold smoking. in their early days brinkman made some nice smokers. this thing is 1/4" steel.

I don't think it's meant to control temps. I Think it's just a feature to enable better cleaning of that area.

That's what I chalked mine up to. Haven't had a need yet to "adjust" the damper to help with any temps. Can control through the firebox vents. After cleaning a few times I can see how it makes that area easier to clean.

I looked at these a few times and never could get an answer about that damper "door". Last two pics show it open and closed. I could find no way to leave it anywhere but closed.

Maybe there is enough air gap in this position to work.

This is design change from the original O/U pits.

Ultimate, I went with one of there Pecos offsets.

Back