View Single Post
Old 08-22-2019, 06:06 PM   #126
Mike in Roseville
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

Obviously, we are entitled to our own opinions. People can compete to...Have fun? Hang out? Gain experience? Meet people with similar interests and network? If someone just cooks ribs they could theoretically take first place in ribs but have no shot at a GC or RGC. If I had a good time and met some cool folks, I'd be fine with that. Maybe someone does one meat and gets bitten by the bug to expand the following year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tduffy View Post
Let's be realistic. If you can't afford a $250-$300 entry fee then you have no business cooking competitive BBQ in the first place. You cannot afford it.
As we have all discussed previously, it's not just an entry fee. Meat, travel, lodging, transportation, etc. all play into it. There aren't always Backyard or Competitor series around. So many ideas to drum up interest have already been mentioned.

While we're being "realistic," your sentiment sounds more like that of a member of country club talking about squash or polo rather than someone trying to champion an organization with roots in "low country" cooking. Telling people what they can't afford or they can't do something or what their business is?

Your position isn't wrong. It's just the complete antithesis of what BBQ is for me. Like I said before, exclusive vs. inclusive. How do you get more involvement? Maybe consider not telling people they have no business being there? But what do I know? Sounds like you guys have a good handle on this.

I'll leave it to you all then.
Mike in Roseville is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->