UDS XL (85 gallon) build pics

years ago, if you did not have a knife or gun with you, they would rent you one as you went in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:biggrin::biggrin:

Did a HOT burn in the drum today with some limbs. Didn't take long for the yellow paint and labels to bake off. A little brushing with a wire brush and she was ready to paint.

After the burnout
J-Afterburnout.jpg

K-Insideafterburnout.jpg

A can of Rustoleum grill paint and she's ready for action!
L-Painteddrumreadytocook.jpg

Now if UPS will just deliver my grates I'll get this thing fired up with some food on it!
Did one can , paint the whole drum?

So this is a repost (from a diff thread), but I had to close out my UDS XL build thread with some PRON from her maiden voyage...

Didn't expect to have the grates in today so I wasn't prepared with grub, but had these 4 leg quarters thawed and decided might as well try it out. Just a little Butt Rub, some salt, pepper & onion powder and on they went. Averaged around 290 for an hour and a half.

101_0451.jpg

101_0452.jpg

sorry, i was not questioning your cooking temp for chicken. with two intakes open, mine will hover around 200-225.

ChiefOsceola, do you think the 24.5" grates you ordered are a good fit for the 85? Your drum is 26" around correct?

Brandon

ChiefOsceola, do you think the 24.5" grates you ordered are a good fit for the 85? Your drum is 26" around correct?

Brandon

Fit great for me. About 3/4" on each side open, but other than building a custom I didn't see any other options. Yep, drum is 26". Here's the website (thanks to another Brethren member). Paid $35 and change for 2 of them, shipping included.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001ASH9O6/ref=oss_product

Dang, I was just coming back here to ask you for the link!!! :) You are on the ball!!

Thanks a lot.

Brandon

Dang, I was just coming back here to ask you for the link!!! :) You are on the ball!!

Thanks a lot.

Brandon

What can I say...I'm addicted to this site. :biggrin:

Gonna do a 10 pound batch of leg quarters tonight...just waiting on company to arrive before I fire it up.

That's cool. I have another quick question for you if you don't mind. Do you think that 2 8-10lb. Pork Butts, and a 12-14lb. Packer Brisket would fit on ONE of the grates of the 85?

Brandon

The pork roasts for sure. Honestly, I've never cooked a brisket, so I don't know the approximate size of one that size. The 2 roast would take up approximately half the rack. Make sure it's well supported is my best advise. This rack is super sturdy, but you can never be too careful when you're talking 30-35 pounds of meat on it.

chief, where could one find one of the drums??:confused::biggrin:

Called a favor from a customer of mine on this one. He's a truck driver and I'd been buggin him about grabbin me a drum. Saw new ones online just like it for $185 (makes me glad to have friends!).

85 and UDS led me to this thread..

I have an old 18" weber kettle with the grate... wonder if I should just cut down the legs, take the plastic off the handle and set the bowl in the bottom of this 85 I just inherited? I'm trying to make do with parts around the house.. I suppose I can get the bowl low enough to grab the flow of the vents of the drum if the vents on the bowl are wide open?

Back