• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

My Mini WSM Build (w/pics)

Thanks for the pictures showing your coal...The other day I used a bank method but lost the fire (from 248 to 217) after a 3 hour burn. I had to stir and add some more hot coal to get it going again. Thankfully the chuck roast turned out very well. I will try your method the next time. Thanks again.

Excellent build buddy. Love to see everyones individual adaptation and variations of this project. Cant wait to get mine started.

It's actually choked up with ash now and the airflow is restricted. I'm pretty happy with the fact that I got as long a burn with it as I did. Next time around I might try lump in it, but there's really no purpose in it because I won't do long smokes in this thing...

I'm gonna paint the tamale pot black this afternoon...

A few finishing touches. I just couldn't leave it unfinished...

20110907_MiniWSM_0574.jpg

I still need to add a port for a meat probe and then it will be completely finished! I robbed the pit thermometer off my UDS and ordered another one to replace it.

I still need to add a port for a meat probe and then it will be completely finished! I robbed the pit thermometer off my UDS and ordered another one to replace it.

Looks great man:clap2:! what kind of paint did you go with?

She's a looker, for sure!! :thumb:

That is one big arse clock, er thermo, on that little beauty!!

Great job on the build...now make some eats!!

I used some of the Rustoleum 2000° primer that I had leftover from the UDS project and then put on two coats of the glossy black Rustoleum engine paint.

I did one of these about two years ago. I cut out the bottom of the tamale pot and use a ceramic flower pot base sitting on a grill grate as a heat deflector. I also use a doggie bowl to eliminate the fire choking down from ash build up.

I'm able to hold 225 for 9 hours with both Kingsford Blue Bag and lump charcoal.

It's a terrific little cooker - and perfect for the typical family cook.

Hoping Weber comes out with a remake of the original Model 1880 (14 inch) WSM!

Pat

Hoping Weber comes out with a remake of the original Model 1880 (14 inch) WSM!

Pat

Those things are really cool... I saw someone here recently picked up one on CL for a good deal.. it was the first time I had seen one. Someone later said that it was rumored that Weber might be putting those out again...

Excellent build! I put one together myself last weekend that was a little more... rough around the edges? But it sure does cook up some good grub!

Got my Amazon order in tonight. I liked how you did your pot so im going to do something similar.

WSJ gold is assembled and I got the holes drilled out in the base of the pot. Tomorrow I need to finish up getting the grate bolts installed and then the expanded metal ring for the fire basket. Overall pretty simple build. I need to get a thermometer for it but ill be using my ET-732 anyways so no rush. Thanks for the picures they where helpful.

I am finding that a fire basket might be overkill on this project. I just use the normal base of the smokey joe...

I am finding that a fire basket might be overkill on this project. I just use the normal base of the smokey joe...

Well Ill be sure to let ya"ll know how the basket performs when I smoke something on it along with pron!

Overkill...maybe. Fun to make, yes!! Something about risking life and limb working with the razor-sharp expanded metal appeals to me...have charcoal baskets for both of mine. :becky:

One thing I've found. I've got expanded metal lining the bottom of the basket (built on SJ charcoal grate). I haven't done anything to cover vent holes on bottom of SJ...the expanded metal helps keep the ash together(?)...keeps it from all falling through the grate and blocking the vent (this does happen, but only after a good 7-8 hour burn).

Awesome and it looks great! I'm hoping to get started on mine this weekend. Glad you don't actually have to have a charcoal basket. I don't plan on doing cooks longer than 4 -5 hrs on mine. Thanks for all the pics it helps alot. I do plan to cut the whole bottom out just so the bottom doesn't get messy.

Awesome and it looks great! I'm hoping to get started on mine this weekend. Glad you don't actually have to have a charcoal basket. I don't plan on doing cooks longer than 4 -5 hrs on mine. Thanks for all the pics it helps alot. I do plan to cut the whole bottom out just so the bottom doesn't get messy.

With the distance between fire and grate being short I believe you want some sort of diffuser on these. So drilling it seemed logical and made it so I didn't have to cut anything. Then he posted using the insert as a template and wow did that make sense.

Another good option is using a cheap grate where the insert would fit and put a clay saucer on it. You can foil it for easy clean up and it's a great heat sync.

With the distance between fire and grate being short I believe you want some sort of diffuser on these. So drilling it seemed logical and made it so I didn't have to cut anything. Then he posted using the insert as a template and wow did that make sense.

Another good option is using a cheap grate where the insert would fit and put a clay saucer on it. You can foil it for easy clean up and it's a great heat sync.

I do plan to have a diffuser I was just worried about grease collecting in the bottom and being a mess. If grease drains pretty good I think drilling would be a better option. I just want to be able to get higher temps in the 350 range and was wondering if the holes method affects temps.

Back