Bad pork from Sam's?

embo500

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey all. Tonight I picked up a brisket and 3 double packages of pork butt from Sam's for the 4th. I'm smoking a couple days early and reheating...much easier on my time the day of.

So, I open the very first package, and I'm greeted with a smell that's kind of hard to describe. Almost like on the beginning stages of being rotten. The meat inside was kind of slimy. The date on the package said sell by July 7th...5 days from now. I don't know what the deal is. None of the other packages had any smell at all.

Anyone ever see this? I didn't cook the bad one. I'm taking it back tomorrow and hoping I can do an exchange. I just didn't trust it enough to try to cook out whatever was in there.

Thoughts?

Rinse it off in cold water. If the smell doesn't dissipate I wouldn't risk it. I've never actually had to return the spoiled meat to get a refund or exchange. A receipt and explanation is all a butcher/store manager should require.

Though probably not related, I've noticed a lot of leaky cryovacs on Sams ribs and pork as of late here in KC. If the cryovac is loose or you see air pockets, pick another pack.

I'd rinse in cheap white vinegar then water. Let it sit for half an hour, then smell again. If it's bad, toss it. Then again, that's what I'd do for home use, if it was for a gig then it's gone right now.

Toss it. If you cook it you'll always wonder...

While I am sure Sam's and Costco have great deals on meat, I use a butcher. I have never had an issue. I know him personally. I know his wife. I trust him. When i go to costco, I have no idea who cut my meat.

Don't bother with any rinsing. The meat has gone south and won't be edible. No sense risking illness. I have had pork bad before the date out of the cryovac packs and most of the time it is due to improper temps when being stored. I am fussy and take a cooler with me when I shop for meats.I always dig to the lower packages and avoid those on top because they are usually the oldest dates and they have not been kept as cool as those below. I have also seen cases sitting out before and once the bacteria developes there is no stopping it.
I have never been turned down on my meat returns especially after the first one when I took it back in the bag and had almost everyone within 50 feet gagging and almost throwing up. I was told that if this should happen again to just bring in the sales slip and label off the package. I don't think they wanted that smell in the store again.
I know bad meat when I smell it and won't risk anyones's health over being to lazy to go to the store and replace it.

I agree with the others, if it smells bad, it is bad... don't risk it....

It happens. We have gotten bad pork/ribs from Sam's before. Just throw it out, I'm sure you won't have a problem getting a new package.

the butcher i learned from said smell is the ONLY true sign of meat going bad (if you have a good nose). if it is slimey too..... throw it out!

Sam's exchanged some ribs for me not to long ago. The ribs had a sulfer smell to them even after I rinsed them. Trust your first instinct.

Make sure you do not contaminate your other meat with the same cutting board and knife.

The only real way to see if meat is bad is to cook it and then eat it. If you spend to much time in the loo or end up having to go to the hospital, then the meat was bad. :lol:

Actually, if I don't like the smell, I throw it out immediately. For some reason, that smell gets associated with that piece of meat even if I was to cook it, so I just chunk it in the garbage.

Toss it, it's not worth the wondering....

A lot of kryocav meat smells, try and rinse it if you can but if you have any doubt do not eat it, you and your guest will have the worst 24 hours of your lives following the meal!

Supposedly that's why French cooking has a lot of heavy sauces...to cover up that smell !!! Pre-refrigeration, that smell had to happen pretty fast, too....so chefs had to get creative.

Or you could use it for smell-o-vision. Watch a CSI episode and when they show a partly decomposed body, whip out the meat and take a big deep breath.

:icon_devil

A lot of kryocav meat smells, try and rinse it if you can but if you have any doubt do not eat it, you and your guest will have the worst 24 hours of your lives following the meal!

Cryovac bags let you know right away if it's gone south. All meat has a butcher shop smell but if it gets you attention right away and makes you wonder then that should tell you something.

Pork is the most sensative to spoilage mostly due to improper temperature maintainance. This is why it has the most return of any meat product. It is als the best! Mmmmmmm! Bacon!!!:cool:

Just got back...they exchanged it no problem. Well, except that the butts they had left were all a couple lbs. smaller than the bad ones, but they of course made up the difference in price.

Now if it would just quit raining, I'd get them cookin'.

Back