storing supplies (charcoal, wood, etc)

StellaBean

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
what ways do you store your bbq supplies like charcoal and wood. I'm keeping unopened bags in the basement but I'm working on a pretty good mess in the dining room of opened bags. I need some storage ideas.. preferably outside with the grills.

5 gallon buckets here for chunks stored under the porch. New coal bags in the garage. Opened bags under the porch. Those charcoal caddies that kingsford makes are pretty good too.

I found a pet food container at Sams that holds something like 50 or 60 pounds of pet food. I dump my 40 pound bags of lump in it and it fits perfectly. It's has sealed lids. I've been using it for a little over 2 years now. I thought about getting a couple more for wood but haven't seen them again yet.

I have a couple of 8x10 vinyl sheds. I keep all of my unopened bags of charcoal and smoke wood used for flavor in one of the sheds. Then down around my pit area, I have one of those tall Rubbermaid cabinets in which I keep opened bags of charcoal as well as smoke wood and all of my BBQ utensils. As for the wood for my pit, that's cut and stacked along the fence.

rubbermaid-plastic-storage-cabinet-36x18x72.jpg
images

I have one of these in my pit area. I keep gloves, charcoal, utensils, wood, etc in it and everything is right where I need it. I will soon be adding a 12' x 12' shed so I can keep all my cookers inside too.

gs4000-open-xl.jpg

5 gallon buckets here for chunks stored under the porch. New coal bags in the garage. Opened bags under the porch. Those charcoal caddies that kingsford makes are pretty good too.

+1 including the Kingsford caddy. That was one of the best things I bought for around the pit.

I have limited space, so some of the bigger ideas here do not work for me. I have picked up a couple of petfood containers that Biga mentioned. Check CL from time to time. Also the Kingsford caddy at HD or Lowes is a good option.

You have opened bags making a mess in your dining room? I thought only guys did that. :-D

I keep all my chunks in plastic cat litter buckets( with 3 cats in the house i always have plenty of containers). I also pour open charcoal bags in them.Unopened bags sit on a pallet on the floor in my shop.

I store my lump in their own bags in my garage. For misc. items such as gloves, thermos, charcoal baskets, wood planks, smoking wood etc. in a closet that I built in my garage with the smaller items in a clear bin so I can pull it out to look through it. Now all my stuff is handy when needed. Have my eye on building a grill/smoker area that will include cabinets sometime in the future.

lots of great ideas here! thanks everybody. never thought about pet food containers... and I even use several. :roll:

The petfood storage containers wouldn't work in my neck of the woods, outside anyways. We get more than 10 feet of snow in the winter and those little flimsy things would be sure to leak water into them...

I stored some briquettes outside in a Kingsford caddy during the winter and they developed mold. So now they're back in the garage.

Chuck

I would'nt keep either wood or charcoal in plastic anything for very long for that reason. My wood is under the prep table in the garage or in purloined milk and soda crates. Charcoal I keep in the bags it comes in.

I have a couple of those Kingsford Kaddy containers... Once I open a bag, I dump it in there. It will hold a 23lb bag of kingsford blue... I have a second one that I keep wood chunks in...

Back