Frito Pie

Joshw

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I had some chili leftover from my Happy Meal thread, so I decided to make some Frito Pie. Apologies to you no bean people, but I like beans in my Frito pie. So I stared by making some Camellia Red beans in the Instant Pot.

Started by browning some smoked sausage.
picture.php

Then added some onions, garlic, and bell peppers and cooked until softened.
picture.php

Then I added a ham bone, from a ham I smoked the other day, and some Camellia red kidney beans. Covered with water and set for 30 minutes.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I reheated the chili and added some beans.
picture.php

picture.php

Then I prepared the toppings and assembled the pie.
picture.php

picture.php

I've never tried to make Frito pie with left over BBQ. I'll have to try that with my next brisket.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Looks very tasty from here, Beef smoked sausage?

I would normally use andouille, but I didn't have any on hand, and the closest place to get anything, that resembles real andouille, is 20 miles away. Just bought this from the local store. I think it was Hillshire, not the greatest, but it works in a pinch.

Never heard of Frito pie before. Is it just essentially nachos with Fritos? I hope I’m not being blasphemous.

All the Q joints around here serves BBQ Frito Pies.

I’m a Friday Night Lights traditionalist.

But yours looks dam good. Kudos

Never heard of Frito pie before. Is it just essentially nachos with Fritos? I hope I’m not being blasphemous.

In the Midwest, you see them at sporting events and the like. I'm more familiar with them being called "walking tacos." They're supposed to be served in the bag that the chips came in. Chili meat, beans, cheese, sour cream, onions, etc.

Technically frito pie and walking taco are different. It's actually a bit of internet controversy so be careful what you say!

Walking-Tacos_exps101359_TH143192C02_11_3bC_RMS.jpg

Wow. Nice work. Smoked Gouda and brisket is a match made in heaven. My daughter and I love smoked Gouda. Just recently started smoking my own cheese but haven't been able to locate un-smoked Gouda to give it a go.

At it's base it is a bed of Fritos, smothered in chili and cheese. The toppings vary depending on location, and the person making it. This was just a quick rendition, I threw together to use up some chili. Turned out pretty good. I think is kind of like chili. Depends on what state you are getting it in. I mainly posted, because several people have requested instant pot recipes.

I'll play the part of Cliff Clavin here, "Did you know that the Frito Pie was created by Elmer Doolin's daughter. He is the father of Fritos, having gone in to a sandwich shop and buying the recipe for a bag of fried corn chips for $100, and years later, merging the company with Herman Lay (potato chips, or 'tatoe chips if your name is Cowgirl) to form the Frito-Lay Co." You learn a lot working for them:becky:

I'll play the part of Cliff Clavin here, "Did you know that the Frito Pie was created by Elmer Doolin's daughter. He is the father of Fritos, having gone in to a sandwich shop and buying the recipe for a bag of fried corn chips for $100, and years later, merging the company with Herman Lay (potato chips, or 'tatoe chips if your name is Cowgirl) to form the Frito-Lay Co." You learn a lot working for them:becky:

I did not know that, and you have to give props to a guy, that can bring up Cliff Clavin, on a post about Frito Pie. I like it.

Smoked Gouda/ well played!!!

Love Frito pie, favorite leftover brisket dish in my house. Well done sir!

Back