Homemasde BBQ Sauces vs. Commercial

Roguejim

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Has anyone here ever made their own BBQ sauce that they felt was every bit as good as the best commercial brands, i.e., Smokin' Guns and others?

I make Dr. BBQ's Big Time BBQ Sauce, with a few tweaks for my personal taste, and feel that it is as good as any commercial sauce that I have ever had.

I seldom buy any sauces. I make almost all of mine, competition or personal. Whole hog cooking is ver popular in my area and people that are good at it usually make their own sauce and take great pride in it. Don't even think about asking for the recipe.

Yes. FYI there are a few good sauce threads currently active at this time, with recipes, etc. For my part, there's only 1 (and only 1) over the counter commercial sauce that I'd ever use on barbecue, and that's BH Tenn Red. First, I have no need for fake smoke flavoring in a barbecue sauce. It's not really barbecue if you need fake smoke, is it? <rhetorically> Right off then I throw out probably 2/3rds or more of commercial sauces. Second, rarely if ever do the over the counter sauces compliment the meat flavor. Usually they over-power it where you could be eating cardboard and not tell the difference. I want a sauce that's simpler, to some extent lighter, with no smoke flavor in it to conflict with the smoke already in the barbecue. It's RARE that I've found a commercial sauce that can do this.

I've been making my own BBQ sauce long before I learned how to BBQ. I have one bottle of SBR in my fridge and four bottles of my own. When I have people over to eat I set out a bottle of mine and the bottle of SBR. The bottle of SBR is almost full and all four of mine are almost empty.

I think that says it all.

By a long shot it's better. Heck you can pick up a bbq book, make a quick sauce and tweak it just a little and it is better....WAY better. I have three sauces I am working these days, one a coffee reduction, another a sweet and smoky and another a cold mix bourbon batch. All three are off the hook good.

I make my own and also use a few commercially available sauces (the wife has a favorite). I prefer MOST of the sauces that I've made. There've been a few flops lol but I still think that if I can make a sauce to fit my palette then it's superior to what I can buy.

I prefer my own sauces AND rubs but always have a bottle or two of Williamson Bros. sauce for emergencies.

I got involved in competitive BBQ because I make my own sauces and rubs. I always thought they were better than the commercial stuff and I wanted to see how they'd stack up against the best out there.

So far, we've won a few awards, but I think that's more a reflection of my skill as a cook than the actual sauce or rubs.

Least, that's what I keep telling myself. :wink:

By a long shot it's better. Heck you can pick up a bbq book, make a quick sauce and tweak it just a little and it is better....WAY better. I have three sauces I am working these days, one a coffee reduction, another a sweet and smoky and another a cold mix bourbon batch. All three are off the hook good.

^ what he said...+1

(greendrake how about posting that coffee reduction sauce once you get happy with it?)

I haven't had much success making my own sauces. I don't get a consistency I like. So I usually will doctor up a commercial sauce. Cattleman's is a great base to start with if you want to go that route.

I was in the make-your-own camp until I discovered Blues Hog on the shelves of my local grocery store. In my opinion, that one ain't broke so I have no intention of fixing it.

^ what he said...+1

(greendrake how about posting that coffee reduction sauce once you get happy with it?)

Going to second this request. My favorite brisket rub is begging for a sauce like that to compliment it.

In response to the actual thread, I basically only use three BBQ sauces for anything:

1) Original SBR
2) SBR Sweet n' Spicy
3) A home-made red sauce.

That's about it, though I very often (almost always) add stuff to any of the above. My current fav for ribs is equal parts SBR Sweet n' Spicy and apple butter with some of the rub on the ribs.

I'm actually migrating more and more just to the home-made red sauce and variations off of it, basically making it sweeter or more vinegary/hot based on what the meat or rub calls for.

hey jim! do you want me to put the same answer here i put over on the aha forum!?!

cheers!

--------------------------------------

@roguejim
Welcome to the forum. I think you will be able to get a good deal of information about sauce and sauce making, if that is what you are desiring to know. While some posters feel they must carry an air of secrecy, whether justified or not(such as either professional sauce makers or just plain paranoid), you will find at least most willing to point you in a general direction, if not an outright complete sharing of knowledge. In general, as with anything "homemade," the possibility does exist for something waaaaay better than off the shelf. There are however some really GREAT specialty sauce makers as well, that are represented here on the forum.

Here is an apple BBQ one that I truly LOVE. I got the base awhile back off a Steve Raichlen book recipe, and tweaked it to the below directions. It tastes best on pork, of any type. Best made a couple of days ahead, to let flavors meld. It has an UNMISTAKABLE apple flavor. I particulary like this drizzled over a sausage sandwich. :thumb:

SPICY APPLE BBQ SAUCE
1 cup ketchup
2 cups apple juice
1/3 cup molasses
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons chile powder
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1-1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
Coarse salt (kosher or sea) and freshly ground black pepper
** In addition, I now add 2 tbs. of ancho chili powder.
As I think this give this a nice smokey background.
Also I add onion powder 1/2 to 1 tsp, and cayenne in same amount for more kick.

Place the ketchup, apple juice, molasses, vinegar, brown and granulated sugar, chile powder, celery seed, cinnamon, and cloves in a large heavy saucepan and gradually bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking to mix.

Reduce the heat to low and simmer the sauce until thick and richly flavored, about 40 minutes, whisking often. Correct the seasoning, adding salt and pepper to taste. The sauce should be highly seasoned.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back