The thermapen is the best thing I have ever got

coastal

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I got one during the open box sale a week or two ago posted on here and it is incredible. I had never even heard of one before until the constant talk about them on here and it has improved my cooks already.

Being able to read that fast keeps the lid closed, gets me to work on what I need to do and allows me to check multiple points on the cut easily.

My last brisket and pork shoulder were my best yet

I highly suggest getting one if you dont have one and thanks for the recommendation brethren!

Congratulations on your new tool and your successful cooks...

A thermopen should be everyone first BBQ tool. You instantly become a better cook with one, it's all about pulling your meat at the correct finish temperature.

I will humor ICEDTURKES.

You do not cook BBQ to a doneness by internal temperature. You use feel and texture for pulled pork, ribs, and brisket.

The only thing I use my thermapen for is for chicken and when I'm grilling steaks.

I have two.
Mrs Kapn has one (that she refuses to share 8) ).
Sending one to my DAU who is getting into the BBQ world with her new PG500.

TIM

The most useful bbq/cook tool for me yet. Now I gotta buy the backlit one.:mrgreen:

I'm on the fence about a thermapen, as it is hard for me to justify spending that amount of $$ for a thermometer, but it does seem to be nearly unanimous that it is a pretty great tool. Is there anything less expensive that is a close second?

I'm on the fence about a thermapen, as it is hard for me to justify spending that amount of $$ for a thermometer, but it does seem to be nearly unanimous that it is a pretty great tool. Is there anything less expensive that is a close second?

Thermaworks makes another thermometer that reads in about 5 to 6 seconds that's $20. I've never used one, but I have friends that use it and like it.

Man, this is the thing that really has stumped me here- the thermapen fetish. I don't get it. Unless you're cooking 50+ steaks or something in a restaurant, I don't see the need for one. (Taking cover behind 5-ft thick lead wall!). I have the $20 therm. made by thermoworks. 5-6 seconds is fast enough for me. $80 (or whatever the open box price is) seems a bit much for a tool that really is unnecessary.

:behindsofa:

Man, this is the thing that really has stumped me here- the thermapen fetish. I don't get it. Unless you're cooking 50+ steaks or something in a restaurant, I don't see the need for one. (Taking cover behind 5-ft thick lead wall!). I have the $20 therm. made by thermoworks. 5-6 seconds is fast enough for me. $80 (or whatever the open box price is) seems a bit much for a tool that really is unnecessary.

:behindsofa:

It is one of those things for most backyard cooks, you get it because you can. Do I "NEED" a thermapen, nope not at all. Are there other options that will fit the needs of said cook, yep. But do I own a thermapen, dang right i do! :becky:

I equate it to, people can get from point A to point B driving cost effective Kia. But people buy considerably more expensive cars because they can. Same can be said about most anything in life.

I have two and love them, but as a few others have pointed out, rarely does it get used for BBQ these days. Even so, I still use one almost every day. Cooking roasts, pork chops, steaks, chicken, hamburgers, etc. it's perfect to have handy for a quick temp check. It's also quite handy as a home brewer for making sure mash temps are dialed in, etc. And finally, in a vending situation for checking to make sure hot and cold items are at safe holding temps, etc.

aawa,

You are right about that. I don't have one but I do have two Maverick's which drive me up a farking tree. My last cook I went commando and didn't even look at a thermometer and everything was fine, I didn't worry and my nerves remained calm. It was bliss! And every thing came out fine.

aawa,

You are right about that. I don't have one but I do have two Maverick's which drive me up a farking tree. My last cook I went commando and didn't even look at a thermometer and everything was fine, I didn't worry and my nerves remained calm. It was bliss! And every thing came out fine.

Rock on!

I have a Maverick ET-732 and a Thermapen. The only time I use my Maverick is when I do overnight cooks and I want to get some sleep. The thermapen gets pulled out for chicken, roasts, and steaks. Brisket, Pork butts/shoulders/picnics, Chuckies, and Ribs all are cooked by feel.

Back