Question about contest... ;)-

B

bbqfans

I'm living in Northern Ohio and threr are not manyIf any) cook-=offs that I know of around here. My Father0in Law is the Mayor of Gibsonburg and says to get all the info I could about the affair and We will take it to Committe for a detremination.
We have several places in a two mile area to camp/and or/compete. Whitestar Quarry is a fine swimming hole and they claim to be a great place to:
scuba dive and train,swim(Nice Beach), Lake Erie(fishng) Cedarpoint$) mi. away,2 camp grounds in the Township(Eagle Lake is a santuary) Crane Creek 340min. away and lots of other sights. So it's a good place to plan a trip or just travel through pretty country. Just west of Toledo,60mi. from Detroit, 50 mi. from Columbus,Etc. The people are friendly and summer temps are very good for Smoking Meat.
If anyone has any info. please PM me and we'll discuss it in detail. We need more activity in this area.And for God's sake, we need to introduce a better kind of Que; they use too much lighter fluid and burn it to a crisp(shuuder).
Now I'm not saying there are no good cooks here,just far and few between!!!LOL
Please PM me and help me plan.

pig-farmer1.gif

We need you!!!
Your BBQ BRO, BBQFANS

Please e-mail me at mwhitebook@kcbs.us and I will send you materials about becoming a sanctioned contest by Kansas City Barbeque Society (KCBS).
Yours in Que
Merl Whitebook
Secretary
Kansas City Barbeque Society

You also might think about contacting a known event organizer, someone that has done cookoffs before. I went to one this past summer done by a guy named arlie bragg, it was a first rate event all the way. If you talk to him though let him know "squeeze bottles" are out of the question...:rolleyes:

I still have not come to grips to actually use any of my squeeze bottles...

That'll make all the difference!!!

You also might think about contacting a known event organizer, someone that has done cookoffs before. I went to one this past summer done by a guy named arlie bragg, it was a first rate event all the way.

This is some of the best advice you'll get and you won't go wrong working with Arlie.

I'm struggling to understand what you are asking (I read your post twice).

Do you want to know about starting a BBQ contest? If so, your best bet is to contact the sanctioning bodies (check out their websites) and let them coach you along. You might also find that an unsanctioned event takes less effort and is more your speed.

Living in West Michigan, count us in for a North West Ohio event. We are trying to organize an event in our area and have quite a bit of information as to what is required. Be glad to share information. PM us.

I logged several dives at Whitestar and it is a nice place to dive, swim, etc. but with all due respect, that has nothing to do with barbeque and will have little to do in promoting your contest. I would love to come back and dive the tunnel at Whitestar but if I were coming to cook a contest, there's no way I would have time to do that.

As one of the organizers of Kettering, our area is known as the home of the Wright brothers, birthplace of aviation, etc., but those are all insignificant factors when it comes to attracting teams for our event as most people do not have the time for visiting the landmarks on the aviation heritage trail.

Your post almost sounds like a pitch to promote tourism in your area and if that's the case, you might not have a lot of success in pulling off an event. I'm not saying these things to be mean or discourage you from trying to organize an event but rather to share my experience as a competitor and an organizer.

Be fair to yourself, the citizens of Gibsonburg and the people of this forum by answering this question before you go any farther with your research.......Why do you want to start a barbeque contest? If it is to make a boatload on money or increase tourism, the results might not live up to your expectations.

Just my opinion.

I logged several dives at Whitestar and it is a nice place to dive, swim, etc. but with all due respect, that has nothing to do with barbeque and will have little to do in promoting your contest. I would love to come back and dive the tunnel at Whitestar but if I were coming to cook a contest, there's no way I would have time to do that.

As one of the organizers of Kettering, our area is known as the home of the Wright brothers, birthplace of aviation, etc., but those are all insignificant factors when it comes to attracting teams for our event as most people do not have the time for visiting the landmarks on the aviation heritage trail.

Your post almost sounds like a pitch to promote tourism in your area and if that's the case, you might not have a lot of success in pulling off an event. I'm not saying these things to be mean or discourage you from trying to organize an event but rather to share my experience as a competitor and an organizer.

Be fair to yourself, the citizens of Gibsonburg and the people of this forum by answering this question before you go any farther with your research.......Why do you want to start a barbeque contest? If it is to make a boatload on money or increase tourism, the results might not live up to your expectations.

Just my opinion.

Very well put Jim.

hay ill come i need to go back to collinwood to visit so we will come i thk in

If you build a good comp, they will come. Good prize money, good location, etc. there will be no time for scuba diving between turn ins, but seems like a nice little area to bring the family along. If you are following your heart then go for it, if you are looking to get rich, play the lottery. There is money to be made but there are a lot of expenses. We just got finished organizing a contest on paper and the expenses are extreme. Not sure it something I would want to do anymore, a lot of work for a possible pat on the back! Kudos to all the organizers.

Back