Battle of the BBQ Brethren, Sayville, NY - Oct 24-26, 2008

First off congrats to Clint and all the other Brethren that walked this weekend.
Jay Spice Diddy called me with the Spicy Cracker results while I was at my sister's for supper. I couldn't be happier for Jimmy and Jay.....you went into unfamiliar territory and overcame.

Seems your judges are harder on you out in the northeast than here in the midwest. I know some of you are better cooks than the 7s and 8s it appears you got.

Also, just an observation, but in brisket, judge 5 and 6 cost the Spice Cracker boys the GC. From a 36 down to a 25.7 & 23.4.....ain't no farkin' way......

First off congrats to Clint and all the other Brethren that walked this weekend.
Jay Spice Diddy called me with the Spicy Cracker results while I was at my sister's for supper. I couldn't be happier for Jimmy and Jay.....you went into unfamiliar territory and overcame.

That was an awesome weekend despite the fire (details to follow). It was great to meet Jimmy and Jay and to see so many friends! Plus I think I won a grill!!!!!!

Chubby hubby bbq

Adding on to what Steve said, we had a blast. I would really like to thank Steve for sleeping out there both nights while I went home. Thanks FATTY!!! And like Steve said 2 Fat Pollaks RULE!!!!!!!!! They were awesome helping us out and being extra nice to us the whole weekend, Thanks Guys. Can't wait for the next comp............Joe

Congrats to all- especially Clint- #1- That is awesome. Any Pics to be posted. You guys did great with lousy weather conditions

Congrats SIDE!!!!
Way to go Blazin' Butts!!!
Sorry Sled!!!!! (13)

Got to stick around longer next year!!!

Congratulations to the winners, it was a great event. We had piles of fun.
Eric, great job organizing it. I know it took lots of dedication and effort.

8th place brisky... Yahhooooo!
6th hot dog, 8th pizza (sorry to the judge who got the burnt piece:icon_shock1:)

Last edited:
Brendan from Transformer BBQ walked on a bed of hot coals with his bare feet without burning himself! It was amazing More than meats the feet

Congrats to Clint and the the rest of the brethren who walked.

First, Clint, CONGRATULATIONS! I am really happy for you.

As for Jay and Jimmy beining in unfamiliar territory, GUESS AGAIN! When you're a Brethren amongst so many Brethren, in a competition called Battle of the BBQ Brethren, and you are these two cooking on a Spicewine cooker, then there is nothing unfamiliar about it. These guys seemed right at home; almost too comfortable.

Saturday morning I think I was just about done setting up when they walked up to me and said "We saw you're wearing a Brethren hat."

I looked up, having never met either of them before, and replied "Jimmy, Jay, it's great to meet you! I'm timzcardz." From that point on, I think anyone looking on would have thought we were long time friends. Quite a tribute to the influence of The Brethren.

This being my first competition, I have volumes to write, but I'm on a crazy deadline back at work so that will have to wait a few days.

For me just being there was reward enough, so congratulations to everyone that competed whether they walked or not.

And a HUGE THANK YOU to the Sayville Chamber of Commerce for inviting and welcoming us into their community, and to everyone involved in setting this event up and making it a success.

Last edited:
Did anyone else notice the odd amounts on the checks? We had a few checks that included $.50, and real odd amounts? Great weekend, some farking weather saturday night. Nice job clint! Great turnout, the only problem from and overall point of view is that they need a BBQ vendor there, we had a lot of mad people looking to buy some ribs.

What a great weekend! Every one who helped organize the event did a great job! SIDE & Blazin Nuttz impressed the hell out of me.

Are your legs sore from doing all that walking?

It was great to meet, and hang out with every one. I'm already looking forward to next year!

After the success of last years event I really thought the event could not get any better. Boy was I wrong! The on site judging on Saturday was the most fun I have ever had cooking at an event. I really enjoyed having the opportunity to interact with a judge and explain what I made and why and was even better to have the opportunity to answer questions from them. Just about everybody I spoke with who did it and judged it had the same opinion.

Having Jay and Jimmy cooking side by side with me all weekend was a blast. We had a lot of laughs and it made it really memorable for me. It was also really great to witness history and see Jay cook on SW with a guru and no water :tongue:. I was not smart enough to take a pic so I guess it never happened:wink: Even with the downpour of rain and wind we had Saturday it did not seem to break anybody's spirit.

On to my favorite topic of discussion, that damn 13th place chicken. :twisted:
I still think it was fixed and I demand a recount!!!! All kidding aside I guess it really has come full circle . My first competition a few years ago at Grill Kings where I received my first of 13th place and then fast forward to my home contest and of course the one carries the Brethren name and get my 5th one is just insane. I wish i could say it was my last but serious doubt that.

Did anyone else notice the odd amounts on the checks? We had a few checks that included $.50, and real odd amounts? Great weekend, some farking weather saturday night. Nice job clint! Great turnout, the only problem from and overall point of view is that they need a BBQ vendor there, we had a lot of mad people looking to buy some ribs.

I had alot of people asking also but you cant blame the Chamber or or Eric for this what i heard was a BBQ vendor had backed out very last min so they were stuck. I know they asked a few guys on friday but with such short noticed it was tough.

we had a great time at this event and if were aloud to come back we will. Thank you to Eric and the Chamber for doing a great job on this event yet again.

didnt mean to come across as if you were blaming just saying what i heard.

Back