How do I Stop Sugar Sticking

Tom Dean

Got Wood.
Reaction score
I am guessing this is the sugar sticking.

The wife likes grilled chicken and grilled port with a sweet sauce. A couple cold ones and I like it too.

1 part soy, 2 part mirin, 2 part brown sugar, some ground ginger. Mix, heat and let cool.

Coat the chicken/pork and let sit for an hour. Use when turning.

I can not seem to stop this from sticdking to the SS grills.

I scrape the grill and coat with pam. Then pre-heat 350. Then, coat with pam, again.

Still sticks.

Is there any way to avoid sticking?

Tom Dean

I would think port would just pour right through the grates :razz:

Sorry, had to.

I like to keep my grates a little on the well-seasoned side, that is to day, greasy. If you must have clean grates, then you need to do more than just spray the grates. Vegetable oil will burn off the minute it hits clean steal. You would be better mopping on some pork fat, or shortening, as it will have a much higher burning point. Also, keep the grates moist with oil, a brush soaked in oil is a quick and easy trick to just add a little grease to the mix.

The other thing, would be to take a trick form the guys who do Huli-Huli chicken, with the sweet glaze they use, which is to use grates that clamp around the chicken or pork, thus you are not having to lift the meat off the grate so much. Less tearing. When we used to do several hundred chickens for church, and we used a teriyaki glaze, what we did was cook the chickens after brining, about halfway done. Then we dipped into a thin sauce, cooked almost done then glazed at the last minute with the thickened sauce. That way, the sticking was minimized as cooking time was shorter.

Often food sticks when grilling, because it isnt ready to be flipped. Spray it well before putting it on a hot grill, but allow it to cook. Another trick that might work is once you put it on the grill, let it sear for half a minute and then lift it up and set it back down without flipping or turning it.

Use that sauce as a finishing sauce, wait for the dry rubbed meat to be almost done before putting it on.

I have started cooking my chicken with indirect heat to avoid the issues with burning sauce or marinadies. It takes a little longer but the results have been more consistent for me and to be honest less stressful when we have company over. If I want some grill marks I just flip the chicken over to the hot side for a minute or two after they are done.

And that mayo marinade someone posted here a few weeks ago is the bomb dot com! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Sere it to get your marks, move It off to indirect, when it hits 160 glaze it, give it 15 min to set, 15 sec a side direct heat , snarf it.

I agree with suggestions above that you'll get better results if you apply any sauce/glaze at the very end. Even with things like chicken wings, I completely cook the wings, THEN toss in a sauce. I don't put sauced meats on the grill because it will likely burn, or at least stick. If you feel you must "set" the sauce, then do so at the very end, but over indirect heat as Bludawg suggests.

Pam has a low burning point, so you won't get much use out of it at 350º. Try hitting the grates with grape seed oil, as well as following the suggestion to hit it with direct heat for a short stint, then move indirect to finish cooking.

I've been known to dab a little bacon grease on a paper towel, then wipe it on the grates. It holds up to heat pretty good.

I have to question the one hour process as well. I don't think the marinade for one hour is doing much benefit for you, as the marinade will not soak into the meat very much. It does add a lot of sugar to the surface, which may be tasty, but, increases the likelihood of both burning and sticking. I have used several processes for getting a Teriyaki like glaze to meats, and for getting the flavor into the meat as well, but, they are either done during the cook, or with much longer marinade processes. If you are interested, I can go in to much more detail.

Back