Grilling In Paris?

SmokerKing

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Took a little vacation to Paris a couple months back. We were walking along the Seine when my olfactory system was awakened by the smell of grilled meats. Blasphemy! BBQ in Paris?

We proceeded up the sidewalk and the smell was getting stronger with each step. We looked to our right and there was a large square that was filled with people, smoke and grills. Looked like some type of competiton.

Took a few shots of the grillin machines. Not the best photos but I couldn't get much closer without being rude to the French, lolol;

1_zps55c3755a.jpg

2_zps9c44a674.jpg

3_zps0becc6fd.jpg

4_zps76bfd0d0.jpg

5_zps0994a43f.jpg

I'm not seeing the photos on my iPad.

Edit: Thanks, I see them now.

Last edited:
You should've let me know!
Thanks for the pics!

I couldn't figure out the lamb rotisserie at first, but it looks as if they are using vertical charcoal fixtures? A rectangular frame with expanded metal going across the front and back and charcoal dumped in the middle?

I'll bump my thread with you link so folks can see larger versions of it in yours.

Seemed to be very hot and fast set up how I saw it being used, but low and slow is clearly doable...
We cook a lot of brats here in WI so it is on my build list!

I'll bump my thread with you link so folks can see larger versions of it in yours.

Seemed to be very hot and fast set up how I saw it being used, but low and slow is clearly doable...
We cook a lot of brats here in WI so it is on my build list!

I'm in the process of building some Konro grills right now. But that vertical grill will be on my "things to build" list next. Thanks for sharing!

Think I'll wait a while before I build a steer cooker like the ones pictured above, lol.

Great pic...thanks for sharing!!!!

its how its done in europe. many if not most rotisseries have the heat vertical in the back. a few ideas.
7462_dsc02420_1.jpg

1879_4_1.jpg

3826_Grill_1.jpg

Thats the way we do it in South Africa ..... fire on the side and you BBQ a whole lamb or hog .... you move the fire closer or further away, and beneath the meat, you have a large pan that contains potatoes, and you make roast potatoes with the fat that drips off the meat as it's cooking .... you then finish off the potatoes in an oven

many butchers hire these rigs to the public

some guys inject marinades into the meat before cooking .... I use to keep it simple and used to make a mop with extra virgin olive oil, fresh lemon juice, salt, fresh ground black pepper, and loads of crushed dried greek oregano

takes approx 7-8hrs to BBQ a whole lamb (depending on how close you have the fire to the meat)

some butchers also sell 3 cuts of different meat that is placed onto the rotisserie skewer and cooked the same way ( beef, lamb and pork)

great looking pictures.
That's fine looking meat being done there.

That is some serious looking equipment. This could start a trend 'Made in the USA'

Back