BBQ Brethren "Go Indian" Throwdown! (Entries and Quality *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Finished plate. This method makes chicken with a great flavor, and it's the absolute tenderest chicken I've ever eaten. It will almost melt in your mouth like cotton candy (USE THIS PIC:)

View attachment 78229

That's a killer entry! Those naans look awesome.

Since the idea is to cook usual foods but with different seasoning, I chose potatoes and squash and onions.
I spiced some oil with chilies, bay leaves, and panch poran and added a small portion of water and cooked them
in a tray separate

Kashmirivegs2_zps73fd8830.jpg

Buc - that pic is just beyond beautiful. I might make it the new wallpaper on my computer.

Curry Wings

Official Entry Thread!

I had wings on the brain....

Ground up black and yellow mustard seeds, added in turmeric, curry powder, ground coriander, kosher salt....

9BF2E399-F27F-42DC-91DF-699B579386F1-1286-000000F07E85A758_zps3647145c.jpg

Added some oil so it would stick to the chicken....

2A72EE68-D70C-429F-8AEC-65D0D62DF6AA-1286-000000F084DAF3D7_zps0d40855a.jpg

Then added garlic and ginger and coated up the wings for a 2 hour rest. My curry wings are on the right....my kids weren't interested, so they had SM Pecan wings and legs...

7776FC67-CFE5-4C77-BA77-DAB56D777359-1286-000000F08AE9D122_zps3fd98fc5.jpg

Plated up with garnish of cilantro, fresno and jalapeno pepper...

5D333530-BC13-4B54-8A4D-433AA53A3487-1286-000000F09C5466FC_zpse7b538b0.jpg

51F2DE95-D84F-4F16-BE5B-514B381A5916-1286-000000F096EBC1B5_zps1a1515bb.jpg

Enjoy!

Indian Beer Can Chicken ala Budweiser!

Please accept this post as my official entry thread to the " Indian Style" Throw down!

I started out thinking that I really had no idea about, or inspiration, for Indian style cooking. I honestly considered sitting this one out. However, it haunted me and Buccs posts kept taunting me, as I contemplated the rules. They were simple...and I found myself complicating them, as I tend to do with everything.

Bucc said "" do a regular BBQ meat and meal but instead of usual rubs, use Indian spices and herbs and Indianize your plate!"
You don't have to use Indian recipes, just keep it familiar but branch out a little on seasonings!"

After Googling everything relative to Indian food on the World Wide Web. BORING....BTW

Here is what I finally decided to cook!

First, I gathered some core spices to blend into a brine.

Then I gathered the team on the field.....had a little pep talk and they all acted like they were deaf, but I shall overcome this too!

4 LB Chicken Breast at the Organic Market, guess the price.........$7.00 per pound. Now you know why I am asking about urban farming. Looks really good though.

The brine included the following ingredients
Adrak- Ginger
Badi Elaichi- Black Cardamon
Chakra Phool- Star Anise
Shorabe Ka Masala- Curry Powder
Pisa Dhania- Ground Corriander
Lahsun-Garlic
Lauang- Cloves
Namak- Salt
Safed Mirchi- White pepper
Niibuu Kaa Raas- Lemon Juice
And a few other of Jed's secret potion ingredients

Brine over 8 hours and pump up the volume!

Hook-up the miniature volcanic reactor, aka the beer can cooker, filled with garlic cloves, fresh rosemary, and vermouth.

Add a little more spice.....

In the Kamado she goes! @ 350degrees with indirect heat.

1 Hour in!

Fully rested and ready to slice...

Final Plate. Please use this as my official entry shot.

Curry is a browner color due to smoke in the chamber while cooking. The juices were retained during the cooking process and added to the final sauce preparation.

Mongo's official Indian Red Curry Beef Short Ribs...

Let's start off saying that I do realize that the dominant religion in India is Hinduism, so beef ribs would go over like a turd in a punchbowl. :tsk: Since I'm not Indian, and not Hindu, I'm going to ask for a hall pass on this cook. With that in mind, I present Mongo's Indian Red Curry Beef Short Ribs... :mrgreen:

First off, start with about four pounds of beef shorties...
edit_preview.php

Seasoned up with a little S&P and onto the Traeger for 3-4 hours of smoke...
edit_preview.php

In the meantime, assemble the ingredients for the red curry sauce...
edit_preview.php

Saute the shallots...
edit_preview.php

Add the ginger and garlic...
edit_preview.php

Add the red curry paste, fish sauce and water...
edit_preview.php

And finish it off with the coconut milk...
edit_preview.php

In the meantime, the shorties have been smoking along nicely...
edit_preview.php

After a good dose of smoke, some shrinkage from the bone and about 160 internal, I pull them off...
edit_preview.php

Then add them to the red curry sauce and put them back on the Traeger to braise for a couple more hours...
edit_preview.php

After a couple more hours they are probing like buttah...
edit_preview.php

Once the ribs were done, I wrapped them in foil and set them aside to hold. I then strained the sauce, skimmed the fat, added lime zest and juice and then reduced it down to thicken. Keeping with the theme, the ribs are served up with Indian style carrot and spice infused basmati rice, as well as Gufarti (Indian style green beans)...
edit_preview.php

Please use the pic below for the money shot...
edit_preview.php

I know this is not authentic Indian cuisine, and Buccs is probably chitting a brick with me calling it curry. But the truth is we totally enjoyed it which is all that really matters. :tongue:

Thanks in advance for the zero... :thumb:

Thanks to buccaneer for waking me up and letting me know that the Indian TD was going on! :doh: This is my official entry for the Go Indian! Throwdown.

I pondered and thought about what to make, and I must say that I am a little proud of myself. The aim was to cook a regular bbq meat with an Indian twist. I wanted to make raan musallam (leg of lamb/mutton/goat with a wet spice rub), but figured that was entirely Indianish. So pork musallam was a natural extension of that thought... and then it hit me - why not pulled pork musallam! :idea:

I didn't have much time for marinading, injecting etc. Working this weekend so it had to happen Sat evening/night. Got back home at 6pm on Sat and fired up the tandoor.
IMAG1801_zpsaa21ca8c.jpg

IMAG1804_zps62dd10a9.jpg

Started with a small pork butt (3.5 lbs). Cut in 2 pieces to make a boneless piece for the raan musallam roast and one piece (with bone) to pull for the pulled pork musallam. For the marinade: coriander, garam masala, ginger paste, cayenne, turmeric, mint chutney, garlic paste, cumin and yogurt.
IMAG1807_zpsb71bac7c.jpg

Mixed it all up and slathered onto my lil mini-butts.
IMAG1809_zps4fc1081e.jpg

Tandoors are designed to burn b@lls to the wall hot, so there isn't scope for trying to regulate the temp. I fired the UDT up with a smaller amount of charcoal than I usually would have. After an hour the temp inside it was ~360°F. I placed a half grate as a shelf inside (leftover from an experiment I had planned for doing steaks in the tandoor) and placed the bone-in piece of butt on the shelf. The boneless piece was skewered and placed in the tandoor. Had to criss-cross the skewers to keep the butt from slipping, because i wanted the meat to cook in the middle of the tandoor. The foil shields were to try and keep the meat from burning.
IMAG1813_zpsb7f957d1.jpg

After about 25-30mins the boneless piece was done - about 150ish IT, so it got wrapped and coolered. The bone-in piece (for the pulled pork) got wrapped to cook it faster. It was done (IT 200°F) after another 2 hours. The tandoor was running in the 450°F range when I had taken the first butt piece off.
IMAG1817_zpsf37c91b2.jpg

IMAG1819_zpsdefca872.jpg

IMAG1824_zps4a50f7d6.jpg

Filled up the tandoor with more lump and let it rip. Needed to get it HOT for the naans. Mrs. caliking handles the naans, so we just needed the tandoor to ramp up.

IMAG1829_zps7b5a7e18.jpg

Got my naan tools ready
IMAG1828_zpsd1119451.jpg

In the meantime, I made a sauce for the pulled pork out of onions, tomato, cumin, and the leftover marinade for the meat. Pulled the pork, added the sauce, and some chopped cilantro.
0e3d6eb1-2856-4846-8837-8e7e188145bc_zpsfb1af244.jpg

Sliced off a couple of slices from the pork musallam roast. It tasted awesome! Experiment was a success!
IMAG1856_zps80c3a113.jpg

It was about 10:30pm by then. Tandoor was running at about 650°F up top and the floor temp was 1000°F+ (IR therm maxed out). Mrs. caliking shaped and slapped the naans on. They take maybe 2 or so mins to cook. The pics of the naans coming off the wall of the tandoor are dedicated to chicagokp, because he called me out the last time I posted a tandoor cook, for not including shots of the naans coming off. :grin:

IMAG1831_zpsefcb4614.jpg

IMAG1832_zpsd24fc70e.jpg

IMAG1834_zps2fa5a829.jpg

Once the naans were done, it was time to eat. Eaten as a pulled pork sandwich with red onion slaw (onions, lime, and cayenne).
IMAG1851_zps8e9ca039.jpg

We were starving and I think I was ready to eat my own arm by then. It was well worth the wait though! The pulled pork musallam and the roast both tasted wonderful, so I will be planning on making them again.

I ate this for lunch today, and it tasted even better since the flavors had a chance to get friendly overnight. Please consider the next pic as my official TD entry for voting purposes.
IMAG1874_zps66c81587.jpg

Thanks for looking!

buccaneer;2442352[IMG said:
http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a542/Generalissmo/Kashmirilambandvegplate_zpsa2586450.jpg[/IMG]

Wow, this looks fantastic, I love it! In addition to the delicious food, I love your mortar and pestle.

Not a TD entry.

I really tried to get this cook done and posted but time ran away on me. I started off using a mutton curry spice as a rub and smoked the leg of lamb. Didn't get to make a beautiful entry plate, we were eating on the fly this week, but here's a few pics. Was going to make raita and got a nice recipe for making basmatic rice but didn't get either of them done. Sorry Buccs, I really wanted to enter this. The next TD is Caribbean, fark, my dad's from Jamaica! I won't be able to enter that either. :tsk: Farkin' "to do" list.

P1010688_zpsd05d1110.jpg

P1010690_zpsea282f55.jpg

P1010693_zps047aa7e4.jpg

P1010695_zps0456cf67.jpg

P1010696_zps070f6e2c.jpg

Back