• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Seasoning for Steaks?

Krazy Salt and Pepper is a pretty good seasoning My parents used it a lot. I like the salt and pepper Tx. I want to try salting my steak again before cooking it

Most of the time I use kosher salt, garlic powder and pepper. Sometimes I leave out the garlic powder.

Montreal Steak Seasoning is also very good.

We usually just use the Montreal Steak Seasoning on steaks. I like it on a brisket too.

Last summer at my mother-in-laws for dinner, her husband was grilling steaks for all of us. My MIL put cinnamon on the steaks along with some salt and pepper because she read about it in some magazine. We weren't fans.

Since no one else has brought it up, I'll suggest Todd's Dirt.

Oh, and Southern Flavor is good too.

Montreal has been used more than once at the Yacht Club.

Where would a Wisconsin boy get his hands on some Southern Flavor? :becky:

You might want to look for a low/no sugar coffee rub, it works well on steak and gives some nice earthy notes. I'm working on one now, but its' not ready for release.
I use EVO, 'lil salt, black pepper or Montreal Steak (if you want lots of season don't use it, it contains way more salt than it should).
Good luck

i've tried several differant things but i just go back to kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. in fact, thats about all i use on everything.
sometimes i will throw in a small piece of oak for a bit of smoke.

Here's my steak seasoning.

2 parts kosher salt
1 part coarse black pepper
1 part granulated garlic
1 part cumin
1 part chili powder
1 part raw sugar
1/2 part granulated onion
1/2 part corriander
1/2 part crushed rosemary
1/2 part white pepper
1/4 part cayenne pepper

Apply evenly but not too heavy as at might get too salty.

Interesting. I never thought of using cumin and corriander on a steak. I'll have to give that a try this weekend.

Best beef seasoning in my book is William's Fajita Rub. Really. It has all the usual suspects. Salt, pepper, onion, garlic, etc. I use it on everything, not just meat. Broccoli, fish, potatoes, etc.

I like several, but always return to Southern Flavor and Golden Toad Prime Steak Rub

Dizzy Pig's "Raising the Steaks" is pretty awesome I think.

Just ordered some Tatonka Dust from Owen's BBQ. Man, shipping is killing me on these rubs.

Just ordered some Tatonka Dust from Owen's BBQ. Man, shipping is killing me on these rubs.

Not to worry - if I (Owens BBQ) can ship cheaper than what you were charged for on the site I will refund the difference :wink:. The calculator can only calculate for regular priority shipping, so if I can get it in a flat rate or a regional rate box for a better rate that is what we do!

Salt and pepper on a steak? I wouldn't dare. If you can't take a steak directly from the fridge to a hot grill and love it then you have bigger problems in life...

I bought some Chicago Steak Seasoning at Costco yesterday, how is it any different than Montreal? I read a homemade Chicago recipe and they added dried lemon zest. Could that one thing make the difference?

Not to worry - if I (Owens BBQ) can ship cheaper than what you were charged for on the site I will refund the difference :wink:. The calculator can only calculate for regular priority shipping, so if I can get it in a flat rate or a regional rate box for a better rate that is what we do!

Thanks! I came in to work tonight and we are planning a get together next Monday for about 30 of us. My coworkers requested ribeyes and strips so I hope to have it for a test run sometime this week.

I use to use garlic powder, Lawrys, and pepper.

Now it's Salt Free Cavenders and Lawrys.

Think I'm gonna have to try some of this Tatonka Dust.

I just ordered some Tatonka Dust & got an email the following day that nearly 1/2 of the initial shipping cost at checkout ($15.95 or something) was refunded to my credit card. Not sure if that works for all areas, but it did for me.

Back