Cold Smoking and Canning Salmon

You are talented and full of great ideas. Your threads have lots of good info and pics.

Very nice Cowgirl :thumb:.

The way I understand it is that Kippered Salmon is "smoke cooked". I got the method from Steven Raichlen's "How to Grill" and later figured out that the process was Kippering. I also gleened a lot of info from our friend Thirdeye on the process.
I usually dry cure w/kosher and brown surgar. Longer for thicker pieces, shorted for thinner ones as I don't want to remove toooo much moisture or get the fish toooo salty. Then I let salmon soak in some dark rum for a while then smoke it slowly on the UDS at a temp below 200* until fish gets to about 140*. Then it gets vac sealed and handed out to neighbors, friends for holidays.

Thanks so much for the info! Sounds delicious, I will give it a try! :thumb:

really nice smoked salmon jeanie. i have never seen canned smoked salmon before. great idea. i sure wished i lived closer.

Thanks Sparky! If I lived out your way, I'd be stopping by at least once a week for your killer ribs. :grin:

WoW looks fantastic!! Made my mouth water. Going to cupboard and getting some salmon right now :)
Pwa, Thanks! Bet your salmon is great!

All I can say after getting my jaw off the floor is: :hail::hail::hail:
lol Thanks Toast!

You are talented and full of great ideas. Your threads have lots of good info and pics.

Very nice Cowgirl :thumb:.

BBQMaverick thank you! I'm trying to get a few things ready for winter and deer season. Seems like fall is a busy time for me. :-D

Arlin, I don't mind at all! When I raw pack meat, the process makes it's own liquid or juice. No liquids are added.
Here is a link to some "raw" packed venison I did awhile back...
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96721

When I process "cooked" meats, I add liquid. Here's a link to some cooked chicken and stock...
http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2009/09/canning-chicken-thinning-hen-herd.html

when the meat is cooked first, I like to add it with stock or liquid.

You really do need a smokehouse. Not sure how anyone gets by without one. lol It's a "must" if you raise pigs too. :)

Thanks again Arlin and tell Jeannie Hi for me! :-D
Message passed on, thanks, and thanks for the other information! There can't be pigs in our present location: there's an actual City Ordinance banning pigs within the city limits! I don't know who did what, but that was the answer! LOL

Arlin

Looks great Jeanie. I've canned many lbs. of fish over the years. I've also smoked many lbs. over the years. It just did not occur to me to can the smoke fish. Now I have to try it. Thanks. :thumb:

If my plane goes down and I'm stuck on a deserted island, I only need three things to survive comfortably: a swiss army knife, a volley ball named Wilson, and Cowgirl to do the cooking. Dang!

As always Jeanie---Great Looking Grub!

I had no idea that you could "home can" salmon. Just never crossed my mind. :redface:

You never cease to amaze and inspire us.

TIM

Looks great Jeanie. I've canned many lbs. of fish over the years. I've also smoked many lbs. over the years. It just did not occur to me to can the smoke fish. Now I have to try it. Thanks. :thumb:
Ron thanks! Hope you give it a try sometime. :)

If my plane goes down and I'm stuck on a deserted island, I only need three things to survive comfortably: a swiss army knife, a volley ball named Wilson, and Cowgirl to do the cooking. Dang!
Scott, I just realized you're the Scott at the drum forum! :doh: lol Thanks friend, bring your pirate costume! Arrrrr... :becky:

As always Jeanie---Great Looking Grub!

I had no idea that you could "home can" salmon. Just never crossed my mind. :redface:

You never cease to amaze and inspire us.

TIM

Tim thank you!! :hug::-D

Cowgirl-
That looks awesome! I did a lot of looking at your blog when I was deciding how I wanted to make my smoker. I love your smokehouse and your food always looks fantastic! Great job!

Cowgirl-
That looks awesome! I did a lot of looking at your blog when I was deciding how I wanted to make my smoker. I love your smokehouse and your food always looks fantastic! Great job!

Thank you oifmarine... You are very kind!!.
I appreciate you stopping by my blog too. :mrgreen:

Looks GREAT! I'll take a jar or two:wink: Neat little smokehouse you got too.

Thank you J-Rod! :grin:

Jeanie, this post continues to haunt me. I'm wondering about doing this with a pickling sauce to make a product like smoked herring. Have you done something like this?

Gore I have not tried that... really sounds good though. Keep me posted if you give it a try! Thanks. :grin:

you just added another project for me..

my little 7/16 inch Alu clad OSB incubator box, which I use for starting the cultures in my Fermented Sausages is getting a mod..

and gets to act like a little cold smoke house also..

HPIM5189r.JPG

HPIM5190r.JPG

1. a little chimney on top with a damper

2. a flex tube entry on bottom left,

3. replace the removable shelf above the light with an upside down L-shaped one to close off the section with the light when smoking

4. fabricate a metal enclosure that can be quickly installed over the Thermostat to keep it clean when smoking.

GARNAAL that looks great! Can't wait to see it in action. :thumb:

Jeanie
I have never tried canning smoked salmon, we usually smoke it until it is somewhat dry then eat it, similar to jerky.
We have canned fresh caught tuna and used a similar process.
Store bought tuna reminds me of "fish bait" :puke:after eating the home canned stuff.

Good Job

Back