I can't believe I got into the NJ championship

daninnewjersey

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Got an email last night with the list of accepted competitors. Of course I started scanning it like a mad man and didn't see my name on it. After looking again...holy sh*t my name IS on it. Obviously this is my first comp and have little to no idea on what to expect, what to bring, etc. It's in mid-July so I have some time, but if any of you guys that compete regularly could share some tips it would be appreciated more than you know.

P.S.---obviously if any of you are going to be down there please swing by. Downbeach Barbecue is the name and you won't find any colder beer than at my spot.....

Congrats and good luck Dan!

I've been a spectator and judge at this event and it has always been one of my favorites. I always considered this a "home" game as it were I took my judge's class and did my first judging.

I don't have a competitor's point of view, so you'll probably get some good knowledge from other Brethren here. My impressions as a judge and spectator are that the spacing is very tight and that it is a high octane (as oppossed to laid back) comp. Look for weather extreme's, especially hot, but also can be wet. I believe that they were swimming last year with flooded streets and frozen turkeys (from the Iron Chef category).

Also, the music here is incredible, but the stage is a bit away from the actually contest.

Best wishes for a fun and successful comp for you guys.

Welcome to the addiction, glad you got in! Last year was our first year at N. Wildwood and we had a great time. The spots are a strict 20x20, so be prepared for that. We ended up bringing 4 10x10 EZ ups to cover our whole site, this is a must to keep protected from both the sun and rain. Everything is situated in a wide open parking lot with no shade. Also, last year they were very strict about fire extinguishers. Maybe someone else here can chime in about the specs, but it cant be one those ones you keep in the kitchen at home. It also needs a current inspection tag. We ended up buying one from the $80 last year (OUCH!) and will get it re-tagged this year.

Most important of all, be sure to have a good time. We'll be there all weekend, so if there's anything you need, please dont hesitate to ask.

need a minimum 5lb ABC Extinguisher, and had the argument with fire marshal about the tags.

Get there early. Space is at a premium and you get a 20x20 spot. Make sure your entire area is covered as Slower Lower said. It is not an easy in or easy out competition. As mentioned, most of the activities are away from the competition area. Make sure you stay up late to watch all the drunk girls stumble out of the bars, have some hot dogs and hamburgers going as bait. You will probably catch a few drunk guys fighting too. Bars let out at 3:00am, Seagulls start around 6:00am, and cleaning crew with loud machines shortly thereafter. Stay focused because it easy to loose track at this one. Have lots of fun and good luck.

Also be prepared for the Iron Chef category. You will get a mystery ingredient on Friday night at the cook's meeting for a Saturday turn in. Parking can be a problem also. Relax and have a good time, it's a fun event.

Awesome.....thanks for all the replies. I really appreciate them. In my single days I'd be all over the hotdog/hamburgers for the drunk girls idea.

One thing I can't find is where people sleep if they don't have a room. Can you just crash under your tent? Will I wake up to a seagull pecking my eyes out?

You won’t wake up to Seagulls pecking at your face but you wont get much sleep staying at your site. There is a place about three blocks called the Athens II that we stayed at.

harbor light is right behind athens inn and their is one next to that, can't remember the name

harbor light is right behind athens inn and their is one next to that, can't remember the name

I just called all of them, including the Northwind (next to harbor light), Jade East. They are all boooked for the weekend already. I knew I was going to be coming back this year, and I waited to book a room. :crazy:

Camp out under your tent it will be fun. Besides the hotels are expensive. I camped out in 2010 and had a great time. It was uncomfortable and I didn't get much sleep but it was all part of the experience. Lots of people do it. Last year the family joined me so we got a room.

I just called all of them, including the Northwind (next to harbor light), Jade East. They are all boooked for the weekend already. I knew I was going to be coming back this year, and I waited to book a room. :crazy:

try harbor mist or matador, a little farther (10th and 11th st)

Camp out under your tent it will be fun. Besides the hotels are expensive. I camped out in 2010 and had a great time. It was uncomfortable and I didn't get much sleep but it was all part of the experience.

My wife is coming and she's the outdoor type so I guess we will camp under the tent. I'd probably be too fired up to sleep anyway and would be staring at the hotel ceiling all night thinking about what I forgot....:mrgreen:

Although this will be my first comp, I can already tell it's going to be an awesome time. Winning..or placing...is probably great but just being there seems to be almost more than half the fun.....

I sent in the return app on the first day we could. I did not receive an email. Can someone with the email check to see if Ihrer's Fires made the list? Thanks. EDIT: Never mind - I see that I did get the email on Sunday. We're in!

. Winning..or placing...is probably great but just being there seems to be almost more than half the fun.....

That is exactly how I felt/feel. I was just a member of a team not the Pitmaster or anything but boy was I happy to be there.

You will meet more people and have loads of fun camping out. As far as I'm concerned rain, heat, humidity, good weather or bad it's all good.
Learn as much as you can before you go, but you will learn much more when you are there. By the time it's over you will be exhausted (in a good way) and feel like you accomplished a dream. For me it was a "Bucket List" kinda thing.

Good Luck, Bring back stories.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have any questions or need anything while down there, feel free to stop by and ask. You can't miss us, we are the only ones walking around with our names in large, bold letters on our chests. :heh:

I will say my first comp back in 2010 I was all paranoid about bringing everything, and forgot a few key items (wash bins were the big thing), but the team next to us helped us out and we got through everything just fine. With that, I have checklists that I go over as I pack what I need, something I have used ever since my second comp.

Back