Smoked Italian Beef

Neil

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
The rump roast experiment was a success. I inserted garlic cloves wrapped in fresh sage leaves all over the rump roast. Rubbed with olive oil salt and pepper than seared all sides over very hot coals on my Weber Performer. Transferred the roast to the top rack in the Bandera and smoked at 190*-220* for two hours. Placed in an aluminum pie pan added 1/2-3/4 cup of Chianti and covered tightly with foil returning it to the top rack for another 2 1/2 hours. When I uncovered the roast it was simmering in its juices. Placed the roast in the fridge overnight and sliced thinly. Sautee'd onions, mushrooms, and pepperoccini's. Added juices and sliced beef and simmered until meet was warm. Delicious.

I was surprised to find a 1/4" smoke ring on the meet. I figured after searing the roast I wouldn't get the ring.

Neil
This a recipe for Bresaola(Italian cured beef). You can air dry or smoke (in our case smoking is the only way to go).

Here is one recipe and I have another at home I will give you also:
5 1/2 lb beef eye round or top round

Marinade:
3 qt dry red wine, or as needed to cover beef
4 oz/wt salt
1 tbsp fresh cracked black pepper
1 tsp red pepper flakes
2 each bay leaves
1 spring fresh rosemary
1 oz/wt Prague Powder #2
7 cloves garlic, mashed to a paste

Trim the beef and place it in a deep hotel pan or other suitable container. Combine all the ingredients for the marinade. Pour enough marinade over the beef to submerge it. Use a plate or plastic wrap to keep it completely below the surface. Cure the beef under refrigeration for 8 days. Turn the beef at least once daily as it marinates. Remove the beef from the marinade, blot dry, wrap in clean cheesecloth, and hang to dry in a cool, dry room for 4 to 5 days. The beef is now ready to slice thinly and serve, or it may be properly wrapped and stored under refrigeration until ready to use.
For smoking use oak or fruitwoods smoke at a low pit temp (200 to 225º) take to an internal finish temp of 125 to 127º.

I use more black pepper than this recipe calls for.

I will post the other recipe this evening.

What temp and humidity should the cool dry room be?

Hotel pan is a chafer pan.
If you are going to air dry you need to wait until fall or winter to do this recipe. The room would need to be at 50 to 55º, lower the humidity the better. I realy suggest that you smoke it, is very good.

Hotel Pan
These are rectangular stainless steel pans used to cook, store and serve food, and are designed to fit in steam tables, racks and chafers.

A full size pan is 12 X 20 inches, and there are also 1/2, 1/3, 1/6 and 1/9 sizes. The standard depth is 2 inches, with 4 inch and 6 inch deep sizes. Another variation has perforated sides and bottoms for steaming foods.

hotelpan.jpg

These boys come in several sizes. 2, 4, 6, and 10 inch sizes. The inches is how deep the pan is.

Thought I'd revive an old thread. I'd like to try my hand at roast beef in the Dera. My goal is to slice into paper thin roast beef slices and food save for future sandwich use. I have a slicer for the thin slicing, however, I'm not real sure if Neil's above method would create the results I'm looking for and don't have the capacity or time to do Jim's method. Any thoughts on the correct cut for this? rump roast? temps, times, and method?

Bryan
Top sirloin roast would be perfect, normally range 10 to 15 pounds, remove the silver skin and contective tissue. I use a mop for seasoning and smoke to 127 to 130 internal. This will give you med rare center go a little higher if want med. Slicing very thin is a great way to handle it.

jminion said:
Bryan
Top sirloin roast would be perfect, normally range 10 to 15 pounds, remove the silver skin and contective tissue. I use a mop for seasoning and smoke to 127 to 130 internal. This will give you med rare center go a little higher if want med. Slicing very thin is a great way to handle it.

Thanks for the tip Jim. Any idea on how long of a smoke a 10-15 lb roast would take to get to 130? Could you cut into 1/3's to speed up the cooking time? And what cooking chamber temp is optimal?

I handle it a lot like I do Prime Rib, a little higher than normal pit temps so I can have some meat closer to med well for those that want to go there. Cooking times are closer to PR times than brisket. Just make sure you don't over cook it.

I never timed it, but 12-15 lb prime rib takes about 4 hours. comes out to about 20mins lb. I start out hot, over 300 for the first 20-30 mins.... in the hot spot of the BYC.. , then cook on the high side of 250-275 for the duration.

Jeeze, 10-15 lbs of top sirloin roast will break the bank for the sandwich budget. Do they make this cut in retail grocery's smaller like Albertsons or Walmart?

Stucue74 said:
Jeeze, 10-15 lbs of top sirloin roast will break the bank for the sandwich budget. Do they make this cut in retail grocery's smaller like Albertsons or Walmart?

Does anyone know if certain grocery stores sell smaller blocks of top sirloin roast?

Does anyone know if certain grocery stores sell smaller blocks of top sirloin roast?
My local Wal-Mart SuperCenter has small sirloin roasts pretty much all the time.

I was in a hurry the other day at Albertson's and thought I found a 2 1/2 lb top sirloin roast and ended up at home with 3 small steaks, so we had steak that night :oops: :wink: . Maybe I'll check the Wmart Supercenter.

Thanks KCquer.

FYI, I looked for a top sirloin roast but couldn't find one so I bought a 3.5 lb eye round roast. Smoked it at 225-260 range a few hours until internal temp of 145*, then wrapped. Put in fridge and thinly sliced next day, results were fabulous.

You should be able to buy a 3-5 pound sirloin tip roast in just about any retail grocery store. Just ask the butcher.

Back