BBQ Pitmasters = Bigger Competitions?

H

Heavenly Hog

With the exposure the TV show has brought to BBQ'ing, I don't think our local competitions will have a problem getting enough teams. What do you guys think?

I dont know one person in my area who has seen the show that doesn't already compete. I am not sure this show will bring much around here.

I doubt that it will make a noticeable difference. The show may raise awareness and interest, but I don't think that it is going to pull a bunch of new teams out of the woodwork.

I think its the beginning of the end for small teams. Gonna become a big money sport where the small guy wont be able to afford to compete.

I think that once the script has the Pablo Diablo team start getting some calls it's definitely going to pull some new teams in.
If the script shows a guy going from dead last to placing in money over the course of the season, you can bet your heavenly hog arse that new teams will join up.;-)

For Roc City we have been running an ad locally during the show and I can tell you the results are very low. I don't think the viewership is very large YET outside of the bbq community. I have hope that they will rerun it to death, which should help.

I think that once the script has the Pablo Diablo team start getting some calls it's definitely going to pull some new teams in.
If the script shows a guy going from dead last to placing in money over the course of the season, you can bet your heavenly hog arse that new teams will join up.;-)
Doesnt look like he got the right "script"

Pablo diablo 2010 contest season courtesy of the pickled pig

Results History for Overall Category

Date ContestPlace
10/17/09 Diamond State BBQ Championship - Dover, DE 41 of 81

10/04/09 30th Annual American Royal Barbecue - Kansas City, MO 177 of 473
09/26/09 Murphysboro Barbecue Cook-Off - Murphysboro, IL 42 of 44
09/19/09 Decatur Jaycees 15th Annual Riverfest - Decatur, AL 59 of 59
09/06/09 Smokin' in Mesquite Nevada Open BBQ Championship - Mesquite, NV 46 of 47

Results History for Chicken Category

Date ContestPlace
10/17/09 Diamond State BBQ Championship - Dover, DE 58 of 81

10/04/09 30th Annual American Royal Barbecue - Kansas City, MO 266 of 473
09/26/09 Murphysboro Barbecue Cook-Off - Murphysboro, IL 40 of 44
09/06/09 Smokin' in Mesquite Nevada Open BBQ Championship - Mesquite, NV 46 of 47

Results History for Ribs Category

Date ContestPlace
10/17/09 Diamond State BBQ Championship - Dover, DE 45 of 81

10/04/09 30th Annual American Royal Barbecue - Kansas City, MO 62 of 473

09/26/09 Murphysboro Barbecue Cook-Off - Murphysboro, IL 38 of 44

09/19/09 Decatur Jaycees 15th Annual Riverfest - Decatur, AL 52 of 59

Results History for Pork Category

Date ContestPlace
10/17/09 Diamond State BBQ Championship - Dover, DE 54 of 81
10/04/09 30th Annual American Royal Barbecue - Kansas City, MO 138 of 473
09/26/09 Murphysboro Barbecue Cook-Off - Murphysboro, IL 40 of 44
09/19/09 Decatur Jaycees 15th Annual Riverfest - Decatur, AL 31 of 59
09/06/09 Smokin' in Mesquite Nevada Open BBQ Championship - Mesquite, NV 32 of 47

Results History for Brisket Category

Date ContestPlace
10/17/09 Diamond State BBQ Championship - Dover, DE 23 of 81
10/04/09 30th Annual American Royal Barbecue - Kansas City, MO 319 of 473
09/26/09 Murphysboro Barbecue Cook-Off - Murphysboro, IL 43 of 44
09/19/09 Decatur Jaycees 15th Annual Riverfest - Decatur, AL 51 of 59
09/06/09 Smokin' in Mesquite Nevada Open BBQ Championship - Mesquite, NV 45 of 47

Not so much from the show but other things going on. 2010 has a 100K contest as well as 3 contests at nascar tracks. Not complaining , just sayin...

Disagree, there are 100's of small contests all over the country with entry fees less than $200. Heck, right now you can sign up for three contests at the Roc City Ribfest for $200.

Disagree, there are 100's of small contests all over the country with entry fees less than $200. Heck, right now you can sign up for three contests at the Roc City Ribfest for $200.
Yeah thats now, i was referring to the future of BBQ comp, it gonna be bigger than the tiger woods scandal

I thing you may see increased community interest at a Comp. Not necessarily more teams. especially with the current economy

There were an additional 43 registrations to the KCBS the first week of the show which was a record increase. I have no doubt this will increase the applications to Competitions at first probably in the Amateur series and then more.

Doesnt look like he got the right "script"

Pablo diablo 2010 contest season courtesy of the pickled pig

Results History for Brisket Category

Date ContestPlace
10/17/09 Diamond State BBQ Championship - Dover, DE 23 of 81
10/04/09 30th Annual American Royal Barbecue - Kansas City, MO 319 of 473
09/26/09 Murphysboro Barbecue Cook-Off - Murphysboro, IL 43 of 44
09/19/09 Decatur Jaycees 15th Annual Riverfest - Decatur, AL 51 of 59
09/06/09 Smokin' in Mesquite Nevada Open BBQ Championship - Mesquite, NV 45 of 47

He's from Texas right? :eek:

He's from Texas right? :eek:

I'd watch out for him. You only beat him by 176 places overall at the Royal. :biggrin:

And what're you beetching about, Sled? You're retired. BTW, Pitmasters is listed as a "Must Watch" in this week's Entertainment Weekly.

For Roc City we have been running an ad locally during the show and I can tell you the results are very low. I don't think the viewership is very large YET outside of the bbq community. I have hope that they will rerun it to death, which should help.

It could be that with Christmas and New Years still to come, May might seem like forever with plenty of time...hopefully as the weather warms so will interest

The shows ratings for the first week were higher than cake boss and it averages 2.2 Million viewers.

I think that KCBS wouldn't want to lose membership with the rise of entry fees and costs. With proper promotion and affordability an increase in small team interest is the way to go. There will be the big competitions with a lot of money at stake every year, but it would be unfortunate that in order to participate it would cost you $500+ to enter.

I figure the show would be a hit. My day job has a ton of employees, and I heard people talking about it in the weeks prior to the show airing. 2.2 million is no small amount of viewers! Hopefully it does bring out more teams, and spectators to the festivals. Especially to those who vend as well as compete!

I think its the beginning of the end for small teams. Gonna become a big money sport where the small guy wont be able to afford to compete.

There will always be a minor league. I'll be there.:mrgreen:

Back