More on the Weber Jumbo Joe

DMSinTexas

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am on my fifth or sixth cook with the new Weber Jumbo Joe and I am still very impressed. This weekend I went "low and slow" with a 3 lb chuck roast.
Weber-Jumbo-Joe-Pot-Roast.jpg

I placed 10 lit briquettes and some hickory on a pile of banked coals and set the top and bottom vents to 50% open. The dome ran real steady at around 265F. At the three hour mark I added another 10 unlit briquettes and knocked a few ashes off. Here is the chuckie at 3 hours...
Pic11PR.jpg

The chuck got four hours in smoke and three in foil. After seven hours the Jumbo was still holding at 265F. It turns out the Jumbo can be one serious little smoker!!

Here is the chuckie at the end.
Pic14PR.jpg

Pic1PR.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Gorgeous! So, what's the difference between a Jumbo Joe and an 18" Kettle besides the obvious table top placement?

Biggest difference is that you can pick it up and take it with you. It has the lid lock and lid holder of the Smokey Joe Gold, the airflow pattern of the Smokey Joe Silver and the grilling area of the 18 inch One Touch Silver.

If you are looking for a portable charcoal grill then the Jumbo is pretty awesome. If you are looking for a backyard grill then no big difference between the Jumbo and the 18 inch OTS.

Great looking hunk of beef. I want some.
Where am I missing the thermometer?

Thanks, fellas!

RW, I have a cheap Acurite digital that I stick through the dome vent. Not very sexy but it works.

Smoothsmoke, Yep, it's the new one. I have been having fun seeing how versatile I can make the fella. Getting ready to roast a yardbird in a few minutes!

i see you used a differant grate. also, how did the ash and lower vent work out ?
that chuck looks great !

Thanks, fellas!

RW, I have a cheap Acurite digital that I stick through the dome vent. Not very sexy but it works.

Smoothsmoke, Yep, it's the new one. I have been having fun seeing how versatile I can make the fella. Getting ready to roast a yardbird in a few minutes!

Post pics and please email me a leg quarter. :biggrin1:

IMG_0989.jpg

Yardbird!!! Sorry, there will be no mailing!!

Yep, I went ahead and got the 18 inch hinged grate. Makes the slow cooks easier. I have done two "low and slows" and really haven't had any real issues with the ash clogging the bottom vent.

Can you post a picture of it with the lid on, horizontally? How much space did the chicken have from touching the inside of the lid?

I'm really enjoying mine so far. I had picked up the 18" smoker attachment on eBay that made it like a WSM, but it didn't fit the Jumbo Joe at all ) = The lie on the Jumbo seems a lot closer to the grates than I recalled on the regular 18", so I was really looking forward to being able to gain a few more inches of space. Oh well.

Back