Can Pork Loin Sit?

dmprantz

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I've cooked pork tenderloin many times, but never a pork loin. I'm planning to cook one for sammies next weekend. I've actually already searched the forums here and come up with a plan of attach, brine, rub, temp, time, etc, but one question still eludes me: How long can the roast sit and be kept warm if wrapped? Most posts talk about sitting for 20-30 minutes, but can it sit for hours at 180 like Q without drying out? Any one have experience with this?

Thanks,

dmp

If you train it well, it can do many tricks.

Sorry, I have had bad experiences with trying to let it rest for very long. I rarely rest it for more than 30 minutes even, as in my experience, it just seems to creep on up to dry. Others may be more experienced, it is not my favorite roast cut.

personally, I would not take a pork loin over 145 internal, rest for max of say 20 to 30 mins. It's a very lean, already tender cut of meat (not as much as a tenderloin) but it aint' a butt! :)

Thanks. Unless some one says otherwise looks like I need to start cooking no more than 140 minutes before serving. Not that I think this changes any of the opinions, but I meant cook to 145 (or even 140) and then place in a cooler or warm oven at about 180 to sit for 2-3 Hours....

dmp

I have held loins for an hour to an hour and a half by foiling it, then wrapping it in a heavy bath towel and placing it in a good cooler.

Now it will continue to cook for a bit but it won't dry out if you keep it intact. So you might want to pull it at 140° or even a little less (but I'd check with one of the catering brothers on that to see what would be a safe recommendation).

I did one the other day based on one of the recipes here. It was a boneless center cut loin with a nice fat cap. I brined it for 2 days, then rubbed and put on the smoker at 250*. Once it hit 145, I wrapped it tightly with foil and added some apple juice. Cooked it until it hit 190*. Removed and let it rest in a cooler, still tightly wrapped with all of the juices inside, for about 2 hours. When I removed it, it was around 170*. I wanted to rest it for 3 hours, but it was getting too late so I had to unwrap after 1:45. The results were good, but not great. I think it needed more of a rest, and looking back I would have rested it fat cap up, instead of down. It's a good option if you want to have a long resting period. I'd definitely do it again this way, with a longer rest and fat cap up being the only changes.

If you cook it the way that Brew-b-q mentioned (originally the Willkat method :-D), then holding if for at least a couple of hours is fine. If you cook it to 145, then letting it sit for too long will dry it out, but it depends on how you do it. It you undercook it slightly and hold it in a cooler wrapped on foil and towels, I think it will do fine. Also, if your oven will go as low as 140, you can hold it in the oven for a long time. It will continue to cook a little, but not as much since the oven temp is close to the meat temp. If you are going to hold it at 180, it will continue to cook and will probably dry out.

Okay. Well today I confirmed that I can get a whole pork loin Bone in, meaning I'd get the sirloin on one end and the back ribs on the other. I'm pretty sure I'll cook that in stead of the boneless. Now the question is do I cook to 145 and pull, cook to 140, pull and rest, or cook to 140, foil, cook to 175, and THEN let rest. I think I need to research that last method more, cause is it supposed to rest and come down in temperature back to 145, or just rest in general?

dmp

as im sure above posters have mentioned, if you take a pork loin past 145 internal you might as well eat your reeboks.

i'd say holding it at 180 would bring the temp far too high

Thanks for the link Ron, I'll check it out!

Unfortunately I just got back from Sam's, and they had the bone-in loins, but they only come in a two pack...no one told me this on the phone! I asked about splitting them, but they said they couldn't do it at this time of day, maybe in the morning. Since Sam's is a 15 mile drive, I just bought a boneless and will call back tomorow. Only frustrating cause I got my hopes up. If I do get my hands on a bone-in, then what to do with boneless....pea meal bacon maybe?

dmp

Thanks for the link Ron, I'll check it out!

Unfortunately I just got back from Sam's, and they had the bone-in loins, but they only come in a two pack...no one told me this on the phone! I asked about splitting them, but they said they couldn't do it at this time of day, maybe in the morning. Since Sam's is a 15 mile drive, I just bought a boneless and will call back tomorow. Only frustrating cause I got my hopes up. If I do get my hands on a bone-in, then what to do with boneless....pea meal bacon maybe?

dmp

i buy the whole bonelesses, cut them in thirds. The first third I throw one in the brine right away, the second gets vac sealed and frozen, the third gets turned into boneless pork chops, which I brine, then rub, vac seal and freeze in packs of 3 or 4.

The chops defrost REALLY quickly and they make a great meal when you don't have a whole lot of time.

So I called back Sam's Club (two of them really) and one said they would not break a twin pack of bone in loins, the other said that they would, but they'd have to cut it for me cause it would be too big. Then I called a great private grocery 2 blocks from where I'll be cooking to ask them, and they were in the same boat, but then they offered to break the package, keep one in the cryovac, tape it, and leave it in a box. They'll even do it Saturday morning right before I come by. Score on getting the bone in loin! Now what to do with the boneless? I'm thinking it will end up in a freezer for now and become bacon at some point in the future. Still open to suggestions, but I've wanted to do bacon for a while, and I like my pork chops to have a bone.

dmp

Back