I-26 Asheville to Charleston

5string

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Headed out on a 10 day crawl. Judging in Knoxville, TN next Saturday then 4 days at Dollywood to check out the Bluegrass & BBQ festival. Then head down I-26 to judge at Sam's Club in N. Charleston. Any good joints worth stopping at along the way on I-26?

Hudson's in Lexington is really good. Not a classic old school place but good que non the less. If you feel like going a little out if the way, Jackie Hites in Leesville is an old school bbq joint. He is on the modern marvels bbq tech tv show. And just down the road from Jackies is Shealy's which has ok mustard bbq but the best fried chicken I've ever had.

I would have to recommend Ridgewood BBQ up in Bluff City, TN. About 20 minutes off of 26 @ Johnson City, TN. This is before you get to Asheville. A very unique style of BBQ. The pork is slow smoked lean hams, that are sliced thin. The sauce is sweet and tangy.

I recommend the pork platter, if there are two of you just ask for them to "split it", it's still alot of food. I'd recommend the slaw over the beans but if you are hungry get a side of beans also. And you have to try their blue cheese dip (order a small).

The slaw that comes as a side is great and has a horseradish tang to it. It is different from the slaw on the sandwiches however.
Beans are good, never sticky or gooey like some styles. I think one of their secrets is a bit of coffee in them for a dark roasted flavor.
Order a small blue cheese, it is incredible, and enough for 4 people.

http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Overview/446/ridgewood-barbecue

Asheville has 12 bones which is very popular and more of a gourmet southern style than authentic que IMO.

Luella's BBQ

Luella's BBQ in Asheville has some of the best bbq in the area. They do brisket, chicken and pulled or sliced pork. The sides are ok, not as good as 12 Bones, but the meat is hands down better than the competition.

I would have to recommend Ridgewood BBQ up in Bluff City, TN. About 20 minutes off of 26 @ Johnson City, TN. This is before you get to Asheville. A very unique style of BBQ. The pork is slow smoked lean hams, that are sliced thin. The sauce is sweet and tangy.

I recommend the pork platter, if there are two of you just ask for them to "split it", it's still alot of food. I'd recommend the slaw over the beans but if you are hungry get a side of beans also. And you have to try their blue cheese dip (order a small).

The slaw that comes as a side is great and has a horseradish tang to it. It is different from the slaw on the sandwiches however.
Beans are good, never sticky or gooey like some styles. I think one of their secrets is a bit of coffee in them for a dark roasted flavor.
Order a small blue cheese, it is incredible, and enough for 4 people.

http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Overview/446/ridgewood-barbecue

Asheville has 12 bones which is very popular and more of a gourmet southern style than authentic que IMO.

+1 on Ridgewood - and the blue cheese - mind bending stuff! I'm hoping to go there this summer.

Do not go to the Corky's by Dollywood. :puke: Or pretty much any other one.

There's a BBQ place in Knoxville called Pup's Pit on Northshore Drive. I ate there a couple years ago and enjoyed it.

You're going to be in some beautiful places - I'm jealous!

Luella's BBQ in Asheville has some of the best bbq in the area. They do brisket, chicken and pulled or sliced pork. The sides are ok, not as good as 12 Bones, but the meat is hands down better than the competition.

Thank you Thank You for the recommendation ! Just finished lunch here. We shared a combo plate, the brisket was the star. Also had the Calico beans and chili cheese grits, different but very good.
Thank you again for sharing...

Back