SuperBowl Cook Recap and Thanks...

cb25

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Let me start by revealing my true purpose -- to thank everyone on this site for their knowledge, the time they spend commenting, sharing, posting pics (so we can aspire to something greater in our own cooks), etc. This is a great place where I've learned a ton - and I feel like I'm just beginning to scratch the surface of what there is to learn from ya'll.

So the SB cook was the biggest one I've done - though it may not seem like much to you more experienced brethren (and sistren? or is brethren all-inclusive?).

I started around 8pm - trimmed and prepped 3 (8lb each) pork butts - rubbed with oil, well coated with my own rub (personal twisted version of one I found online somehwere) then foiled and into the fridge to rest. Took a 9lb choice brisket packer from Costco, injected with a mix of low sodium beef broth and a bit of Worcestershire sauce. Coated with yellow mustard then liberally rubbed with Oakridge's Black Ops rub. Off to the fridge to rest.

Alarm went off about 2:30am to start the fire in Hamton, aka the OK Joe's offset smoker. Got a good bed of Cowboy lump charcoal going, then did wood alone the rest of the cook.

Smoked around 230-250 through the night using a mix of pecan and apple woods.

By 8am, each of the meats had a delightful looking bark and was moving along nicely. I dropped each of them into their own disposable aluminum pan. The pork butts got a little apple juice in the pan, recoated with my rub and a little more rub into the juice. The brisket got the leftover beef broth/worcestershire mix, an extra coat of Black Ops and a little in the juice. Foiled tight over the pans and back onto Hamton.

After the foil, we ran the rest of the way ~ 275.

By 10:30, two of the butts were at 203 IT and probing like butter, so they were pulled and into the cooler with towels, etc. The other butt followed within a half hour. The brisket was at 196 for awhile and still felt a little tough (this was where I began checking). I checked periodically as it got over 200, then 203. I've only done one brisket before, and it turned out pretty good. Let me tell you though - I thought I knew what a brisket that probed like butter felt like...I didn't until yesterday. Man...I knew immediately. So off and into the cooler to rest. Temps were maintained in the cooler until about 4p when the first butt was pulled and the brisket was sliced - each into the chafing dishes to be served.

Let me tell you this - everyone was blown away. Those who hadn't had my Q before were surprised. Those who had, said this was my best cook yet. My wife, who doesn't love brisket normally...loved...LOVED...loved the brisket. I give flavor credit to black ops, but moist and tender credit to me.

Sorry for no pics...I was in a daze doing my first overnight cook and we were so busy prepping the house for the festivities that I forgot.

Best of all - we usually try to send leftovers home with people who come, but I feel like we're forcing it on people. Last night, people were coming up and asking if we had extras to take home. We basically gave it all away (with the exception of enough for lunch for the wife and I today). Tell you what...that felt good.

Now the next big project will be my Dad's surprise 60th bday party in March. We'll have twice as many people to feed, but looking forward to the challenge. If today was a test run...I'm feeling pretty good about it.

If you've read this long, thanks for reading...thanks for sharing...

Just thanks.

Sounds like a great success, well done!!

Sistren Jeanie :)

Thanks Jeanie. My only regret, that I didn't save some brisket for myself. I had a few samples while cutting (quality control, you know...) but none after.

Sure got a lot words in that post and not enough pics.......

Thanks Jeanie. My only regret, that I didn't save some brisket for myself. I had a few samples while cutting (quality control, you know...) but none after.

That's happened to me before too!
Now I try to make extra to ensure leftovers. :grin:

Good luck with your Dad's party next month!

I am glad this went so well for you It is always nice when others tell you that they loved your food Congrats

Back