Pastrami temperature

Q Junkie

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
My first time making pastrami from scratch and smoked a test piece until an it of 170 last night and everything tasted really good but it seemed a little firm and grainy. Should i cook it like a brisket up to around 190-200?

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Opinions vary. I like to take it to 160F to 170F and then steam it when I am ready to eat it. Steaming makes if softer and less grainy. I like the texture of steam finished pastrami.

on edit" any thread on pastrami by Marty Leach is worth seeking out

I wrapped it and put in fridge overnight then steamed for an hour. Not sure what the it was while steaming but it seemed a little firm. I did not rinse it though before smoking because i am impatient.

did you read Playing With Fire and Smoke's tutorial on pastrami? It is quite good. And Marty makes the best pastrami I have had.

I have read soooo many articles on pastrami that my head is swimming with too much info and they all vary quite a bit. I will reread the article again and read Marty's again. I did go hotter than i usually do 300 plus and it seemed to stall at 160 for a long time and got kinda late so i was wondering if i pulled it too early.

On the smoker at low temps..around 200 til it reaches 150 internal. Then in the pressure cooker for 30 mins at 15 psi. Cool it... then in the fridge to firm it up. Slice it and enjoy.

I do not have a pressure cooker so I just used a veggie steamer basket but I will start sniffing around for a pressure cooker soon.

I used the recipe on Amazingribs.com " Pastrami : close to Katz's recipe " . Came out really good .. I only took it to 180* on the smoker... I started with a corned beef...

Back