• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Welcoming the Newest Lone Star Product to My Home

I'd definitely get the ash pan. They are really easy to make if you decide you want to add one later though.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Definitely the ash. The one LSG makes will last at least 46 lifetimes, maybe 47.

Congratulations! I am very happy with my LSG purchase, however I would have eliminated the charcoal basket and the ash pan if I were ordering again. The best upgrade IMO is the warming oven and the 8" casters since it raises the grate height. Anxious to see your new baby and hear your review once you get a few cooks.

The 8" casters do just like BillN says...they raise the working height of the smoker. Does not sound like much but it really does make a nice difference.

Congrats on your new smoker. I was actually at Lone Start Grillz yesterday. I didn't get a good look at the new pits but Chris was cooking on one from what I saw they look nice.

I just ordered one of their Santa Maria grills so I'm right there with you on excitement and waiting for the new cooker to be completed :-D

Congrats on your new smoker. I was actually at Lone Start Grillz yesterday. I didn't get a good look at the new pits but Chris was cooking on one from what I saw they look nice.

I just ordered one of their Santa Maria grills so I'm right there with you on excitement and waiting for the new cooker to be completed :-D

Wow! I was standing there at LSG last year with check book in hand to order one of their Santa Maria grills but decided against it thinking I would not use it as much as I thought. After all, I have two BGE's to grill with......

Now I wish I had done it. The grills are fantastic.

Wow! I was standing there at LSG last year with check book in hand to order one of their Santa Maria grills but decided against it thinking I would not use it as much as I thought. After all, I have two BGE's to grill with......

Stop being cheap. :heh:

I'd definitely get the ash pan. They are really easy to make if you decide you want to add one later though.

What would be a good way to make one? I'm handy-ness challenged :)

The 8" casters do just like BillN says...they raise the working height of the smoker. Does not sound like much but it really does make a nice difference.

I hadn't even considered that benefit, but that is great! I ordered them.

I have a Kamado that i use to grill now as well as a fire pit with a moveable grill, but I've always wanted a Santa Maria grill. After seeing the one Chris had at the shop I had to go for it. I love cooking over an open fire and this will work better for me than the fire pit I have now. I grill at least 3 times a week so it will get plenty of use.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

Congrats to you as well! I'd love to make the pilgrimage there one day :)

I have a Kamado that i use to grill now as well as a fire pit with a moveable grill, but I've always wanted a Santa Maria grill. After seeing the one Chris had at the shop I had to go for it. I love cooking over an open fire and this will work better for me than the fire pit I have now. I grill at least 3 times a week so it will get plenty of use.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

How much are those?

What would be a good way to make one? I'm handy-ness challenged :)

If you don’t weld you can just bolt some angle iron onto a piece of sheet metal.

d5eceb7ebd51a1d7ee56edda63155a03.jpg

98ae42be771d4c5229b3ae0b2f4538f4.jpg

Congrats!! LSG is top notch.

As for the charcoal basket I'd skip it. I bought one and thought I'd use it but in the last 4 years I've only used it 3 times?? Especially if you have charcoal cookers already. Better off spending it on another upgrade.

:tape:

Thank you! It was a good Friday :) 11-year anniversary tomorrow, and I actually found my wife (a Philly native) a legitimate Philly cheesesteak in Minneapolis tonight. First time we've ever found a real deal cheesesteak outside of PA. So, we both had a great day!

Where is that? I'm always interested in good Philly

Congrats on decision

Where is that? I'm always interested in good Philly

Congrats on decision

Frank and Andrea's on 4th in Dinkytown. They fly the bread in from Pennsylvania. Sounds crazy, but the bread is actually the key. All the real joints in PA use rolls from the same bakery: Amoroso's. Perfect chew. Perfect bread thickness. My assessment: F&A's is not quite as good as my favorite joint in PA, but it is the first place we've ever been to outside of PA that offers an authentic Philly steak. So even though it's not my all-time favorite, it's on the "real deal" level. And it is very good. And their east coast style pizza-by-the-slice is also good! I recommend getting both :)

I ordered the charcoal basket & ash pan for my LSG 20x42 but now I’m reconsidering the charcoal basket. I think I saw Russ Jones use it in one of his LSG videos for an overnight cook. Now I’m wondering if I’d be better served using my Kamado Joe for an overnight cook.

Congrats on the new LSG, slick looking cooker.
I experimented with a charcoal basket in my offset, built a basket that holds approx 10lbs of lump, it will maintain 300-325 for about 3 hours. If the firebox was made air tight enough to allow full air control it might work for longer cooks.
My process now is to put 2 splits on the outer edge of the rack and fill the center with lump, after the lump is burning good just add a split approx hourly.

Larry

I definitely pass on the ash pan.... Make your own as outlined above or borrow my idea as found here....

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3689690&postcount=24

I've had 1/4" ash pans before and they're a major pan to work with - especially with a wonky back.

Note: That pan is still working 18 months later.

I bought the ash pan and stopped using it for the same reason (heavy AF). I like the baking sheet idea. Is it just a regular full sized sheet? Aluminum or steel?

Back