• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Need advice, Pecan wood

code3rrt

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Grilling a few steaks, using pecan wood for a little smoke for the first time. Is it a strong flavoring like mesquite, or is it more on the mild side?

Advice appreciated!

KC

In my personal experiance, pecan is far milder than mesquite and hickory. I think of it as a mild fruit wood that happens to make great BBQ.

If I was given one choice of woods, I'd choose Pecan every time. The aromas coming off the pit is heavenly.

When Aaron stated in one of his videos that Pecan was a strong flavored wood, I lost a huge amount of respect. He's obviously never used it. Pecan is mild smoke wise, with an amazing aroma that will entice the whole neighborhood over to your house.

Pecan is actually just one of many species of hickory, with the same general hickory flavor, but as others have said, it's a milder smoke than most of the other species. Great smoking wood.

as stated earlier, pecan is a heavenly smell that fills the air when people walk out their front door, they know your gettin down with your bad self! i dont like the hickory too much, love pecan. what i like to do is throw about a 1 foot peice on top of the coals when i start the fire. the pecan wood burns down just like the charcoal, but the pecan grilled taste is there. good luck, post some pics

I love pecan with my Beef and Venison. When I learned a little about BBQ in NE Texas as a young man visiting, the pitmasters I helped with used nothing but pecan on their brisket. It is my go to wood for meatloaf and chuckies. As Harbormaster said, it is more subtle than hickory. For those reading this thread in the upper midwest looking for a pecan source, I just picked up a bag of pecan chunks at Gander Mountain sporting goods.

Back