Hot and Fast Lamb Leg (Pron)

SmokinAussie

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
G'Day Bruces'

Hopefully this entry will encourage some more btrethren to be "Lamb Virgins No More"?

Here's how to do it hot and fast, give it plenty of smoke and have a delicious dinner!

This lamb came from my parants hobby farm, so I was really keen to do it justice!

First, I traditionally prepped this with slivers of garlic and fresh rosemary. Then the lamb was seasoned with black pepper and marinated in white wine.
DSC_0141_2374.jpg

(Frances was making an apple pie at the same time... not part of the recipe)

I then rubbed the lamb with this new rub I got from Hong Kong... which was actually imported from South Africa. It was really fragrant.

DSC_0149_2379.jpg

Then into the smoker using lump and oak at 300F

This is about 2hrs in, and by that stage I was running at 325-350F

DSC_0151_2381.jpg

DSC_0155_2383.jpg

Cooked to an internal of 140F. Went through lots of oak too, but with a small hot fire it burned clean as a whistle...

DSC_0158_2385.jpg

DSC_0160_2386.jpg

The leg was then properly rested for 2 hours in foil, towel and cooler

Ready for carving:
DSC_0181_2391.jpg

A few slices in:
DSC_0183_2392.jpg

This might look a bit rare for some people, but trust me, this is about how I like it. Don't be to concerned about seeing it this pink. Rare lamb is supposed to look this pink. If you're worried about this colour, just go up to 155F internal, and this will give you a nice balance that should pleasse most people. What is important to note is the EVENNESS of the colour, meaning it's well rested and well cooked. There's no part of the lamb that is raw.
DSC_0184_2393.jpg

DSC_0186_2394.jpg

We had this with pumkin, potatoes, beans with mustard viniagrette... and char grilled zucchini!

No complaints from the family!

DSC_0187_2395.jpg

Thanks for looking!

And... don't tell me you "must try that sometime"... Just go out and DO IT!:cool: You won't regret it!

Cheers!

Bill

You , sir, are a mean, mean man! Killer cookin'. That lamb is perfect:-D. And from your mom's farm? Kick arse!

ummmmmm, where is the apple pie pic? :wink:

Looks good Bill, I have to break my lamb cherry one of these days:becky:

Oh Great...It's bedtime here and I'm suddenly hungry again....
I love leg of lamb!!!

Bill, that is Farking Stellar, Man!!!!

Man that looks really good!!!
I have never had lamb before. Shoot the only lamb I have ever seen was at the Fair when the 4H kids have the livestock show.
After seeing this post I will look at the little butcher/farmers market.

fil

I did my first lamb for Easter this year (chops), Leg is next, hopefully I can do it as well as your's turned out

That looks great.I cook lamb chops a lot,now I gotta try a leg.Thanks for sharing

Looks great Ausz!
That Nomu rub is available over here,I saw that some Dutch Brethren make use of this rub.
It's quite good according to the Dutch Brethren.

Bill, looks just fantastic. Making my mouth water.

Brother... this might be taboo, but farkin A you deserve it!
ALFTickofApproval.gif

It's my honor to give YOU a well deserved ALF Award! :heh::heh::thumb:
Justice was served Brother!! That lamb looks perfect Bill! Great job!!

Out of curiosity, do you guys do the whole mint jelly thing on lamb over there in Aussieland?

Cheers Bro! Again, GREAT job with that!

Hey Phrasty... WOW, I sure was not expecting that!!!!!

Thanks Mate!

Cheers!

Bill

Nice lamb farking! I love me some lamb & I'm totally with ya on how it is to be cooked. :thumb:

Back