• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Brased Lamb Shanks in the DO

Ross in Ventura

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
file_zpsfc3a28f5.jpg

Six Lamb Shanks 1-lb+
file_zps273fac0c.jpg

file_zpsb40a573c.jpg

Browned three at a time in hot olive oil
file_zps588921d3.jpg

file_zps94af741d.jpg

Browned the Veggies 20-min.
file_zps229a6c5c.jpg

Added the Wine,Tomato past, water,chopped Rosemary, bundle of Thyme,and the Shanks
file_zps310b09ba.jpg

file_zps8fdbcdd1.jpg

3-hrs. later looking and smelling good
file_zpsdfd6c194.jpg

Served over Giada's Mashed Potatoes that Jackie made with a Caesar Salad
file_zpsa034f1dd.jpg

We invited our Friends and Neighbors over for this wonderful meal. I highly recommend it

Recipes:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/anne-burrell/braised-lamb-shanks-recipe/index.html

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/giadas-mashed-potatoes-recipe/index.html

Thanks for looking

Ross

Oh my gosh Ross... that's the best looking meal I've seen in a long time. I bet the shanks were fall off the bone tender. Once again, I wish I were your neighbor. :becky:
Looks fantastic!

Lamb is my favorite meat. Can't get no better than a=the little funkiness in it! Gamier the better! Great looking cook, gotta love the dutch oven.

That is another classic down here, great job Ross.
BTW as a matter of interest, that coldnt be sold as lamb here.
It's too old, and would be hogget under our classification system.
I hate it because for some reason the ignorant unwashed have turned their nose up at hogget so it is hard to find.
It is gamier and stronger, and I much prefer it to lamb for many dishes and I just can't source any.
I think you buggers are snaffling it all!:mmph::laugh:

Is that meat from an older animal? I read that American lamb has just been bred a lot bigger than Australian for NZ lamb but maybe I'm wrong. I know the American vs. imported lamb I've seen puts the American lamb being way biger in size.

And I agree, I'd give my left pinky toe to be able to get old sheep or mutton here in Alabama. That gaminess is what I love about that meat.

Is that meat from an older animal? I read that American lamb has just been bred a lot bigger than Australian for NZ lamb but maybe I'm wrong. I know the American vs. imported lamb I've seen puts the American lamb being way biger in size.

And I agree, I'd give my left pinky toe to be able to get old sheep or mutton here in Alabama. That gaminess is what I love about that meat.

Bit OT I know,
Leg of two tooth mutton whatever you call it.
Cut out the leg gland,the yellow hard lump.
Bury in dirt next to a campfire wrapped in alfoil.
Go fishing for 8 hours and dinner is ready.

USA class "lamb" to a far older age and commonly grain feed, which we won't do.
Hath
Btw, we have the worlds premium eating and wool sheepies so keep an eye out for it!
Get Ross to cook it for ya!:clap2:

Last edited:
I gotcha man, guess that is where all that extra fat comes in at is in the grain finishing instead of full time grass. And no doubt, Mr. Ross knows how to do it!

I gotcha man, guess that is where all that extra fat comes in at is in the grain finishing instead of full time grass. And no doubt, Mr. Ross knows how to do it!

I was reading , quite some time ago so dunno if it has changed, that the lamb producers in the USA decided to do this because it reduces the lambiness/ game smell and taste.
I think that was daft, Aussie and NZ lamb sells at high prices and is winning mamy fans.
Our counties don't grain feed because we feel cheated of the intense flavour we love.
Marketing execs are dopes, often as not.

That there is some Great Looking Grub.

Lamb is one thing I have not tried to cook yet.
Need to "get off my duff" now :redface:

These kinda cooks are what make you a BBQ God!!

Thanks for the inspiration.

TIM

I was reading , quite some time ago so dunno if it has changed, that the lamb producers in the USA decided to do this because it reduces the lambiness/ game smell and taste.
I think that was daft, Aussie and NZ lamb sells at high prices and is winning mamy fans.
Our counties don't grain feed because we feel cheated of the intense flavour we love.
Marketing execs are dopes, often as not.

Nail. On. The. Head. That is exactly what happened here in America and yes, it was the stupidest thing they could've done. They did the exact opposite with American pork and have cut out almost all the fat so it's the new lean "chicken" alternative in most products. Some of the heritage breeds with more fat are making a come back though, thank God and people have learned to love fat again. Beef has been watered down to be more mild too.

Most Americans aren't fond of full flavor meats. Well, except us boys here on the forum I guess and a select few others. :grin:

Back