• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Can I cut up a brisket for multiple cooks?

Brother Matt

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Ok, I know this is probably sacrilege around here, but I gotta know. A little backstory...I raise my own beef, which is a smaller breed. I asked the butcher for brisket this last time around but ended up with some really small cuts, like 1.5lbs or something, that don't have the right shape to even identify as point or flat, at least to my inexperienced eye.

So, since you guys are always going on and on about brisket, I went and bought one at Costco today. It's not huge, only about 7.5lbs, but I am thinking I would like to divide it so I can have a few tries at cooking this type of cut.

I live alone, so I won't eat too much of it at any one sitting. I know I can freeze what I don't use, but it's not that I can't eat it all as much as I just would like to take a few tries at the cook. I have a freezer full of beef, lamb, and pork from my own animals, so it's just not likely that I'm going to keep buying these. It took a lot to convince myself to purchase this one, and I blame all of you! But yeah, I really wanna see what it's all about, and I'd like to have a couple tries at it.

So, can I cut it up? If so, how? Upon reflection, I guess if I cut it into small roasts I will basically end up with what I already have from my butcher, so I think I know the answer. Still, I'm curious what you guys think. Ok, go easy on me.

I would not cut up something as small as a 7 pound brisket, that is about as small as I would normally want to cook. They are much easier to get right when at least 10 pounds trimmed and prepped. If you can, cook it whole. As to how, there are many ways to get there.

you can, but I dont think you get the full experience if you dont do the whole cut

its a small one, go ahead and go for it

I have cut them in half and cooked them seperatley, it just doesnt seem the same to me

I did a 7.5 lber on Sat for a guy at work, by the time I trimmed and cooked it, it was about 4 lbs

Or you thinking about separating the point from the flat? Or dividing it down the middle so each section would have some of both? I have never tried it but it seems like it would work.

Edit:
You could also smoke the point and make pastrami with the flat.

Last edited:
I have also done this. I haven't tried the other pieces yet. Its just the 2 of us so a whole brisket is just too much.

I am wondering if an alternative would be to smoke the whole thing and then freeze portions for later consumption. Just thaw out and microwave.

don

I have also done this. I haven't tried the other pieces yet. Its just the 2 of us so a whole brisket is just too much.

I am wondering if an alternative would be to smoke the whole thing and then freeze portions for later consumption. Just thaw out and microwave.

don

thats what I do. Its just my wife and me. I find a small one, cook the whole thing, eat what we want then vac seal and freeze the rest for another time

When I cut one in half it was just not the same, the flat did not come out that well, I think it was because of the fat that the point has in it is important to the whole piece

Back