This weekends Q

20 lbs of beef ribs and 6 lbs of wings. Wings are done.. half eaten.. ribs are at 160-170... be done for 6.

Jeff_in_KC said:
Two brisket flats, 6 slabs of babybacks and a few fatties. Hadn't planned on an early fatty but that's a damned fine idea! Think I might as well toss one on early too (3am). Eating dinner around 6pm. I'll only have 5 people counting myself so I'm hoping for awesome leftovers! Trouble is, I'm feeling like sh#t tonight! Hope I can actually get the fark outta bed at 3am!
Damn Jeff, you're gonna have "Big Time" leftovers with only 5 people! Save me some! 8)

Bigmista said:
Just put the riblets on and sprayed the neckbones...
Mista, 'splain to me the neckbones? Beef/Pork? Never really heard about them?

jeffsasmokin said:
Bigmista said:
Just put the riblets on and sprayed the neckbones...
Mista, 'splain to me the neckbones? Beef/Pork? Never really heard about them?

Jeff, they are pork neckbones. You'll find them alot in Soul Food restaurants. Usually they are braised or occaisionally fried. (Side note: THere's a great song by Willie Bobo called Fried Neckbones and Some Home Fries). I decided it's pork so I'm gonna smoke em. Any excuse to start a fire, eh?

There is definitely some meat on these bones and it is tasty but you do have to suck on the bones to get at some of the meat. Worth the work though.

Here a few pics of the neckbones and riblets gettin sprayed and foiled...

BBQchef33 said:
Bigmista said:
Where the hell do tyou get beef ribs that look like that?!?!!!

Uhhhhhhhhhh?? A cow??

Derrrrr...for real? Who'da thunk it?

Seriously, beef ribs out here don't have nearly as much meat on them. Barely enough meat to hold them together. THat must be why yours are more expensive.

Bigmista said:
BBQchef33 said:
Bigmista said:
Where the hell do tyou get beef ribs that look like that?!?!!!

Uhhhhhhhhhh?? A cow??

Seriously, beef ribs out here don't have nearly as much meat on them. Barely enough meat to hold them together. THat must be why yours are more expensive.

yup.. these are meaty.. i think they were called Beef loinbacks or longribs. One rib was a good meal.

Bigmista said:

Around here grocery store beaf ribs are almost completely stripped of meat, so it looks like a slab of fingers.

I've seen good looking ribs at costco, but haven't bought em.

Got these at Restaurant Depot. 4 racks with 4 ribs in each rack( cryrovaced) 20lb total weight. 26 bucks.

Taste is allot like brisket, I stripped the membrane from the bottom before cooking, but there is still a real storng membrane around the bone. Kids chowed down on them bone in like dinosaur bones. I found it best to remove the bone and the inside membrane and then slice the long ways. Grain ran perpendicular to the bones, so sliced across the grain. Had ribs and Jambalaya.. One rack fed 5.

Since I started this thread, I'll close it out from my end. Ended up with an 8+ lb butt, 3 racks @ ~3.5 lbs each (3.29 per pound) of st. lous cut spare ribs (membrane removed by me), and 4 pounds of the very trimmed beef back ribs (.88 a pound,) morning fatty with biscuits and gravy afternoon ABTs.

Used the southern succor rub for the butt. Mopped w/ apple juice and cider vinegar. Served with an east Carolina vinegar sauce, cut with a tad of ketchup to thicken it just a hint.

Used a chile powder based rub for the beef ribs, with ground cloves added for a hint of sweet spice. Mopped w/ apple juice and cider vinegar. 3-2(foil)-2(foil in cooler) because of scheduling and weather. These turned out good, better than I expected, and well worth the cost. This is not to say they were GREAT, but they were good, and suprisingly moist and meaty. OK, not too meaty, but still worth the time and space.

Spares got a sweet spicy rub, and accompanying dipping sauce (lime undertones, pretty good really). Mopped w/ apple juice and cider vinegar. Basically cooked 3-2(foil)-2(foil in cooler) because of scheduling and weather. I cooked these in the smoker skewered in to rings because of space planning issues. was not thrilled with that method. They turned out 'ok'. Frankly, there was too much meat on them. I need practice with these. Still, formed a nice strong smoke ring, good rub, nothing to complain about.

ABTs, as usual, A giant hit. Sides were pickles, assorted cheeses, white buns, an asian style cole slaw, and a macaroni salad.

Notes and Questions:
It started raining late, after everything was in foil, so I moved it all in to the ovens. (Good thing I have two). I had just put the ABTs on though, and I wanted them to pick up mesquite, so I let that smoke in the rain and just dumped hot mesquite in the fire to keep it nice and hot.

On the butt.....do any of you use multiple probes at the same time to guage temp on such a small (8 lb) piece? (I would rather not move the probe a bunch of times) I had it stuck in there at the end of the cook, and it was struggling to get to 185 (after plateuing earlier at ~160). I moved to another spot and immediately showed 190. The resulting pork was good all the way around, but excellent in some parts. There was a small section that was simply drier than the rest (more like grilled pork than barbecued pork)-Don't get me wrong, even this part was good. Temps stayed low and slow the whole time, so all I can figure is that I was probing the cold spot the whole time? Your thoughts?

Rain in Az,you gotta be kidding. never rains here! I've been here since '57 and never saw so much rain.I'm glad you made it thru your cook G$, it was sunny and in the 70's in PHX today.

No cooking this weekend or week for that matter on the 'dera. Drove 12 hours yesterday down to Arkansas to visit my wife's aunt for the week. Made biscotti this afternoon and I'll be cooking in the kitchen plenty though. It was a year ago this Thursday when we came down here when my wife bought me the NB Bandera for my birthday. I'll have to celebrate next weekend back in Michigan weather permitting with a mammoth cook.

On the butt.....do any of you use multiple probes at the same time to guage temp on such a small (8 lb) piece? (I would rather not move the probe a bunch of times) I had it stuck in there at the end of the cook, and it was struggling to get to 185 (after plateuing earlier at ~160). I moved to another spot and immediately showed 190. The resulting pork was good all the way around, but excellent in some parts. There was a small section that was simply drier than the rest (more like grilled pork than barbecued pork)-Don't get me wrong, even this part was good. Temps stayed low and slow the whole time, so all I can figure is that I was probing the cold spot the whole time? Your thoughts?

There is nothing that feels better than reading a great post from a successful cook!
Thanks.

You may be stressing a bit over temps.
If you move a probe an inch or two, it can move from muscle to fat to bone in a heartbeat.
Also, any chunk of meat (especailly large ones) have all kinds of tissue and results will vary from place to place.
This is not an exact science.
Just look at the big picture!

Sounds like a great cook and I know you will have many more coming!

TIM

On the butt.....do any of you use multiple probes at the same time to guage temp on such a small (8 lb) piece? (I would rather not move the probe a bunch of times) I had it stuck in there at the end of the cook, and it was struggling to get to 185 (after plateuing earlier at ~160). I moved to another spot and immediately showed 190. The resulting pork was good all the way around, but excellent in some parts. There was a small section that was simply drier than the rest (more like grilled pork than barbecued pork)-Don't get me wrong, even this part was good

only used multiple probes on really huge briskets.... Althought i've seen some variation in different spots, its never a wide variation, yours of 5 degrees isnt that bad, but i would remove based on the high point. I do take temps in different places though with an instant read, Just pull it out slightly and push it back in at a different angle. Stops ya from poking holes all over the place. But once its up to 180, i start taking temps often in different places.

Well shucks--PooBah and I posting at same time!
Imagine that.

Saying kinda the same thing.
I am lazy--PooBah is picky!

I follow his procedure for competetion.
I use mine for recreational Que.

Figure it out :lol: :lol: :lol:

TIM

Back