Sauce your brisket?

Do you sauce your brisket for competition

• Yes

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • No

Votes: 34 42.5%

• Total voters
We paint a thin layer for appearance sake. Make it look moist or moister than it is.

Yes and No, done it both ways.

In fact, within the team, we have a difference of opinion. Our best finish ever, which was middle of the road, was un sauced.

EDIT: I also want to add, many people mention drenching in the juice. This is fine, but somehow this last cook we had no real juices! (The briskets were a little over done, and a tad dry, but not excessively. It is more that all the juices just stayed in and redistributed during the rest period. It was interesting/bizarre and the result of how we cooked them this time.)

Last edited:
Couldn't vote since there was not an option for sometimes, because we don't make that call till it is sliced and we taste it about 10 minutes before turn in.......

We have done it both ways and prefer the unsauced since I have never found a sauce that compliments it well enough. Lately we have just been brushing with the juice before turn in.

I just go with the flavor of my rub. Why try to cover up the rub flavor with sauce???? I feel that if you have a good rub, and it does well, don't cover it up.

Are we trying to get a good meat flavor or a sauce flavor??? To me, it is the meat, because that is what we are cooking. If you want the judges to taste the sauce, do a sauce contest....

Bill

We sauce always. sometimes we spray with some type of liquid and then sauce. it just depends on what it needs.

I just go with the flavor of my rub. Why try to cover up the rub flavor with sauce???? I feel that if you have a good rub, and it does well, don't cover it up.

Are we trying to get a good meat flavor or a sauce flavor??? To me, it is the meat, because that is what we are cooking. If you want the judges to taste the sauce, do a sauce contest....

Bill

You sound like my brother Gary, the other Fat Polock. We discuss this constantly and my answer to him is usually that we should put on the brisket whatever is gonna give us the best score.:biggrin:

I look at sauce on a brisket as BBQ's version of: WHITE OUT®, it's only for mistakes.:eek:
A good sauce can make a bad food edible or decent food spectacular, I guess to each his own.
I'd try anything, once.:biggrin:

Back