Just me and my son for a week - might need more charcoal!

I once had a teacher tell me about a conversation she overheard between my son and his class mates. They were excitedly asking him where I took them out to while my wife was out of town. It went something like this.
"Where did your dad take you out to eat?'
"Nowhere, we just each got to choose between protein, vegetable, and starch for dinner."
That said, I miss cooking with my son and daughter. Her favorite outdoor cook was chicken with BBQ sauce, because she got to "paint" the chicken.
My advice, treasure these moments. They will help you during the days ahead once puberty hits.

He's 15, so we're already there. We still get along really well though. I hear all the nightmare stories and realize how blessed I am. He seems to listen and take my advice, at least on some things.

He's 15, so we're already there. We still get along really well though. I hear all the nightmare stories and realize how blessed I am. He seems to listen and take my advice, at least on some things.

You've got a ways to go, the memories will still help you keep your sanity.
My son is 36, with a Masters and a Fulbright scholarship, and he still does things that I never would do. And I'm quite proud of him, that he will take the risks, come to think of it.

If my coffee pot broke my wife would be in panic mode

Having an activity you enjoy sharing like that really smoothes the way through teenhood! Have a great time!

If my coffee pot broke my wife would be in panic mode

Mine has a small backup, plus a French press.
I miss repairable appliances, the newer ones even require special tools just to open them up!

My wife & I went out for dinner with friends. The boy said he'd make dinner for his sister & grandparents. He made chicken florentine, breadsticks, and salad! I'm impressed!

Attachments

• IMG_0749.jpg
    IMG_0749.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 162
Very nice, could use more salad and less bread.
Kudos to you, Dad, raised 'em well....

Well done by the young man cooking for his family. Great times right there.

My son makes a wicked grilled cheese sammich....your's made chicken Florentine....well done !!!

Also good that you recovered the coffee brewer. Yesterday I got up early and went down to make my coffee and enjoy an hour of sipping and getting my mind wrapped around getting ready for work.......coffee was gone.

Wife said later there wasn't much left in the bag and she tossed it while cleaning out the fridge Thursday night. GRRRRRRRRRR. I'd known there was enough to make one good pot with plans on picking up more on the way home from work last night.

Made for a long morning at work until I could finally slow down and get some coffee.

Reminds me of a time when my grinder broke.

Predawn yard light found me out front with a ziplock bag of beans....hammering them on the driveway. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

Dub,
Not everyone understands the importance of coffee. I see that you do!

• Thanks
Reactions: EdF
First night without the wife and daughter. My 15 year old made homemade mac and cheese. Put some leftover tri tip and some jalapeño from the garden in there. Love how that guy thinks. I think the boys and I will be fine.

Attachments

• IMG_0907.jpg
    IMG_0907.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_0906.jpg
    IMG_0906.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_0908.jpg
    IMG_0908.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 152
Aero,
If you sprinkle some chopped parsley or basil over the top of the mac it counts as veggies I think. Looks like some good eats there!

I just cut the chicken spatchcock style, man that's so much easier than I thought it would be. It's sitting in the mojo right now for tomorrow night. Also when I was at Walmart yesterday I picked up a 20 lb bag of B&B lump for $10. Wish they had more at that price.

That B and B burn pretty well. $10 for 20 lbs is a good price. Gonna have to pick up some for the rest of the weeks cooks. Still haven't tried spachcock chicken yet. Steaks and potatoes tomorrow. Possibly have to try the chicken later in the week.

Day 1 was mojo spatchcock chicken.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=252701

Day 2 was hobo packets with chicken, potato, zuchini, mushroom, tomato, onion, and I put some teriyaki sauce on mine. WAY TOO MUCH VEGGIES in the packets and the liquid in the bottom pretty much caused the chicken to boil. The chicken was tender and tasty but the veggies overcooked. Still good though.

Day 3 is underway with a 9lb pork butt already on the Weber. I put it on about 6am this morning. Later I'm planning to stuff a fatty with herb & garlic goat cheese and thinly sliced jamron serrano, and enrobed with thick bacon. Hope it works out!

Yeah I tried the spatchcock chicken last night. Turned out fairly well. Tonight is bacon cheeseburger smoker meatloaf and mashed taters. I'll post pics later.

Very nice. Looks amazing. Love the fatty. I'm gonna have to try one of those. I was thinking cream cheese jalapeño stuffed fatty.

Back