BBQ Brethren "Beef Ribs" Throwdown!

bigabyte

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Our new category is...

[size=+2]"Beef Ribs!"[/size]
422b17b5.jpg

Photo from Playing With Fire and Smoke. I don't know what feller runs that site, but he can sure cook!:biggrin1:

...as chosen by Groundhog66, the winner of the Wings Throwdown!

Click here to read the rules for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 8/19 through Sunday 8/28.

Entry pictures must be submitted by Midnight Central US Time on Sunday night 8/28.

By submitting entry photos to this Throwdown thread you are agreeing that you have read and understand the Throwdown Rules.

The voting will begin Monday 8/29 after I submit the "Vote" thread and will run through Saturday 9/3. All votes will be public.

Don't forget, you can still enter the Around the World Throwdown until Sunday night 8/21 by midnight Central time.

Our next category will be decided by the winner of the Summer hors d'ouerves and Cocktails Throwdown!

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Oooh... This will be a great opportunity to try the the new rub I just got... :thumb:

Oh wait... I'm gonna be gone all next week on business... :doh::doh::doh:

GD American Dream (aka nightmare)... :heh:

Short ribs allowed? Sometimes the ribeye full bones are hard to find here.

That is a great choice. I've only done the beef ribs once but I absofarkinglutely loved 'em & wanna do them again real soon. Maybe this week...

Well DARN! I HAVE to cook beef ribs again?? Oh we..

Oh. love it, I was actually going to try and do some braised beef ribs for the around the world TD, I'll see if I can do some two different ways :thumb:

Short ribs allowed? Sometimes the ribeye full bones are hard to find here.
As long as they are beef and they are ribs. Groundhog66 didn't specify a specific kind of beef rib. I would imagine bone-in is required though and a ribeye steak can't be turned in as a boneless rib chop.:becky:

Awesome choice.. Is it OK if I use a Spanish Bull???
I think you might have better luck finding an Australian Bull, but if it's cattle, it's beef.:thumb: Note however than not all domesticated ungulates or members of the subfamily bovinae are allowed, they must specifically be cattle, i.e. of the species Bos primigenius.

muwahahahahaaaa!!!!

i am IN on this one!!!!

shoulda been in wings too but i'm an arse.

Not that it matters since I'm gonna be out of town, but can the ribs be from the beef Spamish Inquisition? :becky:

Hey Mongo, business trips are no excuse. I've traveled all but 8 weeks this year and still managed to get DQ'ed in all but the last 5 TDs. Are you already out of town? If not, why aren't you cooking beef ribs? :becky: Incidentally, Residence Inns have grills you can use.

Hey Mongo, business trips are no excuse. I've traveled all but 8 weeks this year and still managed to get DQ'ed in all but the last 5 TDs. Are you already out of town? If not, why aren't you cooking beef ribs? :becky: Incidentally, Residence Inns have grills you can use.

Gore... Let me explain my business trip... I'm actually a professional Spam tracker. I'll be out in the wilds of Eastern Washington away from all means of communication and civilization tracking the ever elusive Great Northern Spotted Spam. A client that I'm not at the liberty to reveal has contracted my services for the next throwdown he has in mind and wants to get a jump on the competition. :heh:

Last edited:
well here we go.

i got some beef ribs after a decent search. i wanted to keep the cook simple, but with some good seasoning.

i started with 1 chunk of hickory and 1 peice of cherry smoke stix.

i gave the ribs a wash in woosty(i don't feel like going to the fridge:becky:)a sprinkle of oakridge beef and pork. i then dusted with onion powder, kosher salt, and black pepper and let them sit for a few. here is before and after.

photo (43).JPG

photo (44).JPG

i got the "kettle" up to @ 250* and started the wood smoking. here is 2 hours in.

photo (45).JPG

after a little over 3 hours i pulled them off. cut 1 bone out, gave 'em a glaze and back on. heres what i did with the 1 bone.

photo (47).JPG

i pulled the rest off tented them to rest and heated up the beans. the ribs looked like this.

photo (48).JPG

what did i glaze them with you ask?. well, i had a bottle of slabs, which is great on beef, and a jar of smoked brisket drippings. i mixed the two and brushed it on. i added a bit of brisket drippings to the beans as well.

photo (46).JPG

i sliced the ribs, poured the beans over a bicuit and FEASTED. hope you enjoyed the story. here is my entry photo. :thumb:

photo (53).JPG

Fanfarkingtastic. That looks great. You had me at the beans.

I went to Sam's today but all they had were short ends. So disappointing :tsk:

That is a killer first entry. I'm not sure if I'm going to find any good ribs, so I may have to cook some of those little bitty things the colonel saw at Sam's. Maybe serve them with some little bitty sides on a little bitty plate.

Back