Corned Beef for Practice

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
With St. Patricks day right around the corner, I was wondering if anyone has used corned beef to practice timing and cutting of briskets?

I figure that the price is gonna drop precipitously right after the holiday, and that might be a smart buy.

Any thoughts?

Eric

Corned beef and BBQ brisket are two entirely different animals (not literally, but figuratively). I personally wouldnt practice with corned beef for timing or slicing...but that's just me.

Corned Beef

Corn beef brisket has a wondermus flavor when smoked, just as you would a regular brisket........yummy

I rinse them, hit them with my brisket seasonin and smoke them just like a brisket. Sell it as Pastrami and my customers snap it up. Smoked and sliced just lime brisket. My only problem is that the briskets they use for Corned Beef are much nicer than the raw briskets in RD. Nice thick flats, good marbling, etc.

I've smoked corned beef briskets with pastrami seasoning as well, it comes out pretty good. Now is good time to try it out if you've never done it as prices are so low on the CB.

Agree with the salty comments!

Although when I smoked one, it came out of the package, slatherer with mustard then rubbed. The taste was really good but freakin salty.

I'm gonna try this again but next time ill put it in a bucket of water and do lots of water changes before smoking.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Soak it in water for about three days with potatoes changing the water once or twice a day.

I agree with Neil, most of the Corned Beef Packers that I see at Cash n Carry look way better than any of the whole Briskets from the case. And I wouldn't recommend practicing any timing on Corned Beef, the cured/brined meat will cook faster.
As for smoking Corned Beef, this Irishman, won't ever cook another without soaking and rinsing the brine for a couple days. Way too salty!

Guess I am the only one who likes salty, cant imagine soaking a corned beef before cooking it!

With St. Patricks day right around the corner, I was wondering if anyone has used corned beef to practice timing and cutting of briskets?

I figure that the price is gonna drop precipitously right after the holiday, and that might be a smart buy.

Any thoughts?

Eric

You can make a great pastrami by soaking for 24 hrs in cold water and then smoking. But it wouldnt be a good way to practice cooking a raw brisket.

Back