How do you Dr. up your beans

we usually sauté up some chunky pork belly and onions first(we make our own bacon in house so have the benefit of gnarly bacon ends that get used for goodness) then add some bbq sauce and a little rub, usually a trotter gets thrown in and they go in the pit.

Brown sugar, a little molasses, kecthup, bbq sauce, mustard, some cayenne and chopped jalapeno and chopped onion. Smoke roast the onion and peppers prior to chopping and adding. Everything else I'd suggest at this point wouldn't be vegetarian friendly.

1st I brown up some good smokey THICK cut bacon...onions and garlic....spicy brown musterd...some of my dry rub....brown sugar...and the dripp'ens from my smokey down too the bone ribs and some of meat added in.

Sounds good

Good comments. Makes me hungry for some right now, but I'm not smoking until Monday.

I add BBQ sauce and homemade apple sauce, then put them on the smoker. If I have some rib meat I need to get rid of, I will as that.

NEIL has a good and simple way he doctors up his beans.... and it is vegetarian.
I will submit TWO posts on this.

redundant post.... well more redundant than usual from me.

Last edited:
Ready Made Enhancers for veggies sauce and beans.

I knew this one guy that made a weekly/maybe biweekly "bean stock" that was incredible. What he did was He like put in like several cans of tomatoes and chicken broth with some damn green chilies cans... he had a perfect ratio............ I think he had ridiculous amounts of onions and garlic too... he would foil and smoke that **** as long as he smoked the briskets but in a cooler spot than normal. I think he maybe did a lot of tomato paste in there too... When he was done I looked at him and there was this UMBER mess of like... funked up French Onion Soup but like tomato past thick I tasted it and I about choked. I was like "what in THE **** are you going to do with that ****. He said... I freeze it. That was it... never told me what he used this thick, ugly assed, oversmoked **** for.

About 3 months later I am on a cookout with him and I kept saying (as I had had his incredible beans before) there is no room on your smoker for the beans and you have an hour and half.... He puts down this huge stock pot.... dumps in washed beans.... just like u and I do... maybe about 5 cans... spoons out a GLOB of this ****...........adds it to the stock.... stock turns into this incredible nectar....incredible flavor.... added #10 a can of Rotel tomatoes and voila.. once the **** was boiled and cooled he had a pot of beans that gave one the impression that were on the pit all damn day. PLUS the pan cleaned up quicker. LOL He used this **** to pep up greens, greenbeans, all sort of ****.

He also used it make BBQ sauce taste smokey for real.... instead of liquid smoke or actually smoking.

What beans do you start with?

I like all of these ideas, but do you start with canned beans? dry beans? what sort/brand/type?

Thanks!

I took some advice from each of you and the beans turned out fantastic.

- extra bacon bits
- a lit o bit of my rub
- sweetner(brown sugar, ketchup)
- the old guys in the crowd loved it

Thanks everyone

beans

ketchup, brown sugar, rub, onions and peppers, Lastly whatever bbq I have on hand gets chopped finely and mixed in.

1 pork butt
1 pound of beans, uncooked but soaked 24 hours
1/2 pound of bacon
1 onion-large
ketchup, mustard, brown sugar, molasses
Cook the onion with the bacon, add the beans, ketchup, mustard, molasses and brown sugar, add water till beans are covered. Season the pork butt, and put in the smoker at 275F. Put uncovered pot of beans below the pork butt so all the drippings go in it. Cook the beans until their done (check occasionally if you need to add more water). If there's too much liquid/fat in there, just boil it down some. When that pork butt is done, put about 1/2 a pound of it into the beans.

It's smokes up the pot, but boy are they good

Back