• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Anything butt entry ????

Tar River BBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Howdy, I was wondering what is consider "anything butt" this is usally done on friday evening during a competition any info would be helpful on this subject.

Howdy, I was wondering what is consider "anything butt" this is usally done on friday evening during a competition any info would be helpful on this subject.

Entered in to a MD contest in mid April? haha

Typically we try to take an item we cook at home that people seem to enjoy, and tweak it to work on the smoker or grill. Really the organizer sets the rules or limits, and you try to cook what you think is your best item that isn't one of the KCBS 4.

Pay attention to the presentation rules. Sometimes there are no restrictions and the presentations get very elaborate. Look at the very end of this video to get an idea of what I mean.

anything but means anything but the 4 comp meats.you could do ribs but they would have to be beef not pork. alot of teams do desserts. we did a shrimp cabob at new holland alot of 9's but lost to desserts:icon_shy

I have a love-hate thing with this category.

I love to get a little creative with my cooking at home and since the rules are pretty open, I usually end up doing something a bit crazy like deconstructed jambalaya (sausage jambalaya stuffed into chicken breasts, smoked, then sliced).

Problem is that its such a broad category, you kinda have to hope that the judges are feeling in a chicken/hamburger/dessert mood.

There's really no sure fire solution, IMO, just do it to have fun.

For Chefs Choice Dessert is a good call if its after the KCBS 4. Friday night I'd go with Seafood or Beef..... or Both :-D

Chris and Steve are the masters of the Anything butt....

Also, a word of advice, whatever you think is 'great' your first time out, you will be behind the game. Spent a lot of time last year after grilling events in NEBS thinking "wow... that's WAY more elborate, creative, thinking outside the box than I would have even considered someone pulling off.

I don't mean that to be discouraging at all, this category, at least around here, gets pushed up a level at every contest.

Have fun, cook something you like, its fun to be able to cook on your terms.

Contact the organizer BEFORE the contest to see exactly what the rules allow. Every contest has different rules. Some allow any thing that will fit in the container such as a side dish, a meat other than the regular four meat categories, or a dessert. Some are restricted to a certain side dish, meat only or dessert only. Sometimes garnish is by KCBS rules and sometimes it is "open." Some contests require that you use the same size tray the meats are turned in and some allow you to provide your own plate or tray. Just find out in advance what is and is not allowed so that you will be prepared.

If desserts are allowed, I would go with that. At the Laurie, MO contest last year, their open category was anything but steak or shellfish as long as it fit inside the box. Out of the top ten finishes, only one was a meat. The other nine entries were all desserts.

Lager,

Juggy

For the comp we are doing in April, the cooks choice category is the first catergory of the day and the dessert is the last.

I have a love-hate thing with this category.

Me too. I'm staying away until they separate into desert, seafood and other categories. It's way to difficult to differentiate something sweet from something salty.

But of course, one of my new teammates loves making pies, so here we go.:rolleyes:

Chris and Steve are the masters of the Anything butt....

Also, a word of advice, whatever you think is 'great' your first time out, you will be behind the game. Spent a lot of time last year after grilling events in NEBS thinking "wow... that's WAY more elborate, creative, thinking outside the box than I would have even considered someone pulling off.

I don't mean that to be discouraging at all, this category, at least around here, gets pushed up a level at every contest.

Have fun, cook something you like, its fun to be able to cook on your terms.

Ain't that the truth? One of the few open categories I did last year was versus Chris and I got my "anything but" wooped by his perfect score. I went for cherry planked crabcakes over fresh crab and smoked corn salsa and he pulled out crabcakes topped with beef filets, the ultimate surf-and-turf! Don't mess with the master!

For Chefs Choice Dessert is a good call if its after the KCBS 4. Friday night I'd go with Seafood or Beef..... or Both :-D

I think that Chris offers some great advice here. Think about it, Friday night, judges just arriving, very hungry, most have not eaten since lunch, seafood or beef makes perfect sense. If the CC is after KCBS turn-ins on Sat, and the judges have been eating BBQ for 2-3 hours, then a dessert is the perfect submission. I believe the top 8 chefs choice entries at New Holland were desserts, and I submitted a crabmeat entry!

Last edited:
I took second out of 190 at the Lenexa BBQ a couple years ago with smoked trout.

how to bake

Me too. I really need to learn how to bake.:biggrin:
The easiest way to bake at contests, my opinion is using dutch ovens and learning how to count briquets. One for around ten degrees each is a good starting point. Many cakes, upside down and regular have been turned in by us, sometimes using the smoker for frostings, fruit etc. Cheescakes always score well, ssbbqguy

Back