"Big Chop" ala Cooper's recipe?

HeSmellsLikeSmoke

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Anyone have any insight into how they do the Big Chops at Cooper's in Llano, Texas? From what I have read they are 1 1/2" to 2" thick bone-in loin pork chops. Probably have just salt and pepper rub on them like everything else they smoke.

Just found a description and recipe for them in "Legends of Texas BBQ". Gonna give them a try next and will post pron.

Yum! Can't wait. My visit to Llano was absolutely one of the best BBQ experiences I've ever had. I'm still hoarding some Cooper's rub and sauce. I used the rub w/ a little addition on some brisket and it was off the charts good....Robb Walsh's recipe sounds pretty right on. They were moist and thick cut with a light pink ring and pleasant mesquite kiss that was subtle enough, but still assertive. It was really good. Can't wait for the pics!

Last edited:
Yum! Can't wait. My visit to Llano was absolutely one of the best BBQ experiences I've ever had. I'm still hoarding some Cooper's rub and sauce. I used the rub w/ a little addition on some brisket and it was off the charts good....Robb Walsh's recipe sounds pretty right on. They were moist and thick cut with a light pink ring and pleasant mesquite kiss that was subtle enough, but still assertive. It was really good. Can't wait for the pics!

Cooper's gets that subtle mesquite taste by pre burning the mesquite down to coals prior to moving them to the pits. Glad you reminded me. I will have to try to find a way to duplicate that with mesquite chunks.

I really love their entire set up there.

Me, too. The whole experience was fantastic-- sauce or no? If yes, the majestic dunk in that vat that collects all those awesome flavors and makes the sauce even more special. Oh, yeah! I got to talk alot with those folks and got some behind the scenes looks that were amazing....I want to go back-- I keep telling my wife what a nice "city" Llano is!! :tongue:

Me, too. The whole experience was fantastic-- sauce or no? If yes, the majestic dunk in that vat that collects all those awesome flavors and makes the sauce even more special. Oh, yeah! I got to talk alot with those folks and got some behind the scenes looks that were amazing....I want to go back-- I keep telling my wife what a nice "city" Llano is!! :tongue:

Dang, I didn't do the sauce. That does it, gotta go back again now. :biggrin:

I got a little bit of info from them, but it was just enough to leave me wanting to learn more.

I always get the pork chop when we go. One of my favorites.

I'm blessed to live just a short drive from this place and it is still my favorite joint in central texas though I'm sure some would disagree. The best is when you come at an odd time and no one is in line, so when you walk up to the pit they open it up for you and you get that "wooosh" of hot smoke that rises up over your head and then, laid out before you, is the most bountiful spread of bbq bliss man has ever seen.

Haven't been all winter so for my 30th birthday in early June we are taking a group out there. I'm sure I will load up with a pork chop, pork ribs, a few slices of brisket and a some sausage. Love their potato salad, too! And Big Red on tap. Man, I might just have to go there right now...

Here are the 2" thick chops I just picked up. Can't cook them until tomorrow though.

BigChop.jpg

Rubbed with Kosher salt, cracked black pepper and Montreal steak seasoning.
EVOOPepperSaltMontreal.jpg

Seared on WSM direct with (no sand pan) at 400 degrees, stubbs charcoal w/cherry - half way to 120 internal.
400degrees.jpg

After going indirect (with sand pan) at 250 plus from 120 internal to 145 internal. Ready to take up.
Indiredto145deg.jpg

Served after foiling and resting in cooler for 1 1/2 hour. Smoked kraut, potatoes sauteed in olive oil with Montreal Seasoning.
Served.jpg

Plated with hot Granny Smith apple chunks.
Plated-1.jpg

Sliced
Sliced-1.jpg

Juicy and as Cowgirl always says so modestly, "pretty tasty" :biggrin:

A definite addition to the regular rotation. Big hit with everyone.

I ate there yesterday afternoon. The beef ribs were something to see, 2" of meat on the bones, but there was so much salt on the meat I got sick. Too bad, the rest was great! Moist, meaty, tender and so salty you get the Chits for 24 hrs.

I ate there yesterday afternoon. The beef ribs were something to see, 2" of meat on the bones, but there was so much salt on the meat I got sick. Too bad, the rest was great! Moist, meaty, tender and so salty you get the Chits for 24 hrs.

That really is too bad. I have never had anything too salty there. Wonder what went wrong with quality control?

nice! i have two huge bone in chops in the fridge for this week.

Zilla thats really bad to hear. We had everything on the menu and it was all great. Especially the Jalapeno sausage.

That chop plate looks amazing!!!

Back