• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

From the no pics - it didn't happen file

MRI_Guy

Take a breath!
Reaction score
I can think of about 35,000 other uses for smoked salmon other than stuffing sweet peppers and smoking them..........I'm just sayin.

But on the bright side - I mixed some cream cheese, parm cheese, fresh chives from the garden and garlic in a sweet pepper. OUTSTANDING!

Bacon, Cheddar & cream cheese - pretty darn good.

Pepperoni, marble jack cheese, & cream cheese - kid's choice.

But the Alaskan smoked salmon & cream cheese stuffed peppers will never be spoken about again.................

n581721988_732697_9614.jpg

Peppers and salmon not good??? What happened?

Maybe it was the twice smoked salmon flavor. Something was wrong - VERY wrong. Maybe it was the alder smoked salmon and the hickory I had at the house today.

It's one thing for me to turn my nose up at a salmon dish - but when MRS_MRI doesn't approve - then I've got some explaining to do.

I'll stick with my smoked salmon dip, smoked salmon alfredo pasta, etc.

Now if the fishing in a few weeks is outstanding..........well, maybe in September I'll try it again.

But for now - I'm just happy to discover that the Garlic/Chive peppers were great.

**Notice that the Smoked salmon peppers weren't in the photo with the last of the other peppers.

I that Cast Iron they are on? Did that play a part in cooking.

Anyway they look good. I'd take 2 or 10.

I that Cast Iron they are on? Did that play a part in cooking.

Anyway they look good. I'd take 2 or 10.

That is the griddle that I normally make pancakes on.

Part of the Brethren sickness (according to my wife) is that I wanted something different to display my food in all of its glory on. I just wish that I would have snapped a pic BEFORE I tried my first pepper. Having some 20 or 30 halves on that griddle looked GREAT. SIGH........I guess that my wife finally learned that I'm not perfect.

One side comment from a neighborhood little girl. "When my daddy cooks outside - it doesn't smell like this. Yours smells good, like a campfire."

I will call that the :inflate my ego mod: (in spite of pushing those salmon peppers to the side)

While I dont eat stuffed peppers the guys I give the smoked salmon peppers to just beg for more.Maybe when you smoke the salmon yourself it will be a little different.Who are you going fishing with?If you dont do well let Clark(Harbormaster) know or PM me and maybe I can hook you up.I havent had my rig over to the lake yet but will soon.The fishing looks to be starting to fire up on the big pond its been a little slow.

MRI_Guy,
I would like to have tried one of those God-awful smoked salmon stuffed peppers. Do you think a different pepper would have made a difference? Maybe a different cheese like a mozarella or a gouda?
I s'pose if the salmon was pretty smokey, then it may have been less than palatable. What did you cook them on, the ECB? Maybe the smoke was too thick. I know with the high humidity I had trouble with my offset and a WSM this weekend. Couldn't get temps up.

MRI_Guy,
I would like to have tried one of those God-awful smoked salmon stuffed peppers. Do you think a different pepper would have made a difference? Maybe a different cheese like a mozarella or a gouda?
I s'pose if the salmon was pretty smokey, then it may have been less than palatable. What did you cook them on, the ECB? Maybe the smoke was too thick. I know with the high humidity I had trouble with my offset and a WSM this weekend. Couldn't get temps up.

As I sit here trying to distract myself from the horrible condition this particular MRI system is in - here are a few more thoughts about my salmon stuffed peppers from this past weekend.

I think that 'stale' smoke was definately one factor. With the high humidity - there didn't seem to be alot of 'movement' through everything.

I also used my 'Apple Jack' recipe of smoked salmon - as that what was in the fridge. My Apple Jack salmon is fairly salty and hard smoked. It was also King Salmon - which is very rich in oil. That oil probably absorbed ALOT of the additional smoky flavor.

When I revisit this, I'll proably use one of my 'Sweeter' recipes for smoked salmon and a less fatty salmon like pinks or cohos. Not only is the recipe less salty - but it isn't smoked as long.

Then there was the texture thing. Once I broke down the salmon into the cheese mix - there was nothing to maintain the texture of the pepper. Maybe add a crust of crushed saltines or add scallions into the salmon/cheese mixture.

Finally the actual pepper. The sweet peppers definately were NOT the way to go with this. I also think that jalapenos would be too hot. Maybe I'll try a poblano or something else that has mild to mid range heat levels.

But all of this hinges on how good the fishing is in a few weeks (and the quality of my guide - heheheh)............

Back