View Single Post
Old 07-08-2008, 09:31 AM   #1309
cardiac_cadet002
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butts-n-gutts View Post
I have read through the entire thread at different times, I do not remember anybody talking about sandblasting (or whatever media works best)?
Has anybody tried to blast off the food grade liner (red stuff)? and would you still want to burn the chit out of it after?

I would only have access to a cheap sandblaster not a large comercial setup. could not blast with ball bearings like was mentioned about the drums used for the training class in Ohio last week.

Any information or ideas about this would be welcome.

Thanks
Steve
On the last drum I built I used a citrus furniture stripper I found at Wal*Mart on the lid and let it set for about an hour. I used a wire brush to try and remove the lining but had no luck doing that so I resorted to doing it the old fashioned way. When I burned the lid the lining just peeled right off. I'm guessing it was from the citrus furniture stripper that I used. Its non-toxic, so I'm assuming you could just rub down the entire barrel with this stuff and let it set a few hours then do a burn. That should make it a whole lot easier to remove the lining with minimal sanding.
Old Country BBQ Pits Smokehouse
36" Blackstone Griddle

1 U.T. Orange Thermapen
cardiac_cadet002 is offline   Reply With Quote