Pit building WIP: "Suzie Q"

Don Marco

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Howdy...

I´m new to this forum, and in my introduction i was asked by trp1fox to tell a little more about my WIP Pit.

Here we go :

I gave the Pit the name "Suzy-Q" on the first day of building it. While the grinder had a break, the old CCR tune "Suzy-Q" played on the radio, and it fit right in.

I was inspired to this kind of pit by a Backyard Chef from Dave Klose.
I´ve never seen a huge pit like that in person over here, but the internet and a couple of guys from around other forums were a big help.

The size is

20" x 48 " Main chamber
20" x 20" x 40 high vertical smoker
20" x 20" x 20" square firebox with grill on top

Its made out of 1/4 " Steel, except for the vertical wich is 1/3".
I ordered the plate the other way around to make the firebox out of 1/3 but the guy who arrange the steel for me got it wrong. Anyway, it was dirt cheap so its not that bad. The main chamber is made out of Pipeline Tube.

Heres some pics from different steps of development :

bild001largezd9.jpg

bild002largevh9.jpg

bild003largenz9.jpg

bild005largevi1.jpg

bild006largeha6.jpg

bild007largecz3.jpg

bild008largebz1.jpg

bild009largene1.jpg

img0001largeps9.jpg

img0002largepn3.jpg

img0003largeif5.jpg

img0004largecd6.jpg

img0005largeuv6.jpg

57_P1030178_Medium_1.jpg

57_P1030179_Medium_1.jpg

57_P1030180_Medium_1.jpg

57_P1030181_Medium_1.jpg

57_P1030182_Medium_1.jpg

This is the current state, it only needs to be sandblasted and painted.

57_P1030378_Medium_1.jpg

57_P1030379_Medium_1.jpg

57_P1030380_Medium_1.jpg

57_P1030381_Medium_1.jpg

57_P1030382_Medium_1.jpg

57_P1030384_Medium_1.jpg

57_P1030385_Medium_1.jpg

57_P1030386_Medium_1.jpg

57_P1030387_Medium_1.jpg

57_P1030388_Medium_1.jpg

57_P1030389_Medium_1.jpg

57_P1030392_Medium_1.jpg

57_P1030391_Medium_1.jpg

Somewhere in development i decided to mount it on a trailer, so im doing that right now as i got a perfect trailer last week :

57_110807_003_Medium_3.jpg

Right now im wondering how to mount the pit onto the trailer.

I originally wanted to have the firebox go beyound the tail a little, so it can be at a comfortable working height.

57_Trailerbalance1_2.jpg

This way, the firebox top and main cooking grate would be at about 36" from the ground. Trouble is, the trailer would be way too heavy at the back and i would have no tongue weight.

The other option would be to mount it on the middle of the trailer, the balance would be fine then. The grate height would be at about 40" then, wich seems a little high to me.

The last option would be to mount a counterweight, in this case a
slide out grill, on top of the trailer.

57_Trailerbalance2_1.jpg

57_Trailerbalance3_1.jpg

What would you guys suggest ?

I´d rather have the pit in the middle of the trailer for best balance and tongue weight, and that way i could also mount a Char Griller Outlaw on the oppsite side of the trailer. I´m just worried that 40" might be too high for the grates.
I´d really appreciate if you could measure the height of the firebox and main grate of your smoker and tell me what you think about having it at ~40".

Thanks,

DM

Very nice. Looks like you've done really good work there.

What about a tool box mounted on the front of the trailer? And a wood supply box? That would take care of your counterweight problems.

You did a great job! I am just a beginner at welding although my bead quality is improving steadily. At my current level I would never attempt anything like this. Obviously you are a very skilled fabricator and welder. I hope to aspire to your level one day and try making my own vertical insulated smoker. Seeing what you have accomplished motivates me and I thank you for that.

Looks Awesome! Thanks for all the pictures during fabrication.

I can't wait to see what kind of que it produces.

Sweet!

Personally, I wouldn't want the firebox hanging over the end of the trailer.

For a man of your obvious skills, it shouldnt be difficult to make the firebox swing in and/or drop in place or maybe even side mount the firebox instead of end mounting. Along the other side of the horizontal chamber you could store wood . And the front of the chamber should have 2 insulated barrels, one for light and the other for dark beer. After all, you're in Germany.

Nice work! Would not want a firebox hanging off the back of a trailer. bad balance and I see someone getting burned eventually. My firebox is directly underneath the cooking chamber seperated by the baffles and tuning plates, I love it that way!

Just cut a square "notch" into the floor at the back of the trailer so you can move the pit forward if you need to. (Of course you will have to reinforce that area) I see lots of trailer pits with the fire box at the rear.

Just cut a square "notch" into the floor at the back of the trailer so you can move the pit forward if you need to. (Of course you will have to reinforce that area) I see lots of trailer pits with the fire box at the rear.

I would have to re-certify the trailer in that case, and it would cost money and nerves i´d rather spend on something useful. 8)

Could you guys please tell me the height of your grates and fireboxes ?

Thanks,

DM

Sounds simple enough but in Germany if you modify the trailer it has to be inspected and recertified (and it can be rejcted). Ain't like Texas where you can just about do anything you want.

Nice work! Would not want a firebox hanging off the back of a trailer. bad balance and I see someone getting burned eventually. My firebox is directly underneath the cooking chamber seperated by the baffles and tuning plates, I love it that way!

Hig Big Brother Smoke,

Can you post a picture of your smoker. I trying to figure the firebox?

Thanks,
Brian in So CAl

Here we go again.

I decided not to mount Suzy on the trailer stationary because that would have ment too much work , trouble and $$$ for recertifying and so on.

Instead she was put on her 8" Heavy Duty lockable casters and we put some rails on the trailer, added two more rails as ramps and i ordered a winch that will be mounted to the trailer.

Off course mounted to the trailer would have been way cooler, but this way im more versatile and can get into almost every backyard to do some BBQ catering.

Today, we loaded her up for the first time, and it was not too hard even w/o having the winch yet.

I brought her to the sandblaster and right after that she will be painted.

57_suzy_001_Medium_1.jpg

Cant wait to get her back.

DM

Back