• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

A competition question.

Bentley

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Regarding a KCBS competition...Can a Chief cook on a team compete on Team X as the Chief cook and also be just a team member on Team Z at the same contest?

If you answer can you post the rule to back up your answer please?

Edit: Never mind...

2) Each team shall consist of a chief cook and as many assistants as the chief cook deems necessary. A team shall not compete in more than one KCBS sanctioned contest under the same team name, on the same date. Chief cooks and/or assistant cooks may only cook for their designated team at the contest they are attending.

Looks like it has changed in the last 11 years...Although I am not real clear on the highlighted area...Why cant I be a designated Chief Cook on one team and a designated assistant cook on another team?

The way I read that rule is that you can be both at the two competitions on the same date. I don't think it covers being the chief cook on one team at one comp on a given date and then a team member on another team at a different competition on another date.

2) Each team shall consist of a chief cook and as many assistants as the chief cook deems necessary. A team shall not compete in more than one KCBS sanctioned contest under the same team name, on the same date. Chief cooks and/or assistant cooks may only cook for their designated team at the contest they are attending.

The word only and that team is singular. That is the key.

Teams will be identified for team of the year by chief cook member number. That's why notice went out a while ago to KCBS cooks, to have your card handy (or a current Bullsheet, number is in the mailing address). If you are the chief cook of your team, it'd be registered under your number. If you are assisting with another team, you shouldn't be the chief cook of record.

Correct, that is the reason why I can't figure out the reasoning behind the rule.

Points mean nothing to me as a team...I realized that is not a reason not to have a rule. I just can't figure out why it would matter if I was a Chief Cook on one team and an assistant cook on another team at the same contest?

Do you have any idea the reasoning behind the rule and why it can't be done? I mean, as an assistant cook, the points are a moot issue anyway right?

Or am I just not seeing something simple?

Teams will be identified for team of the year by chief cook member number. That's why notice went out a while ago to KCBS cooks, to have your card handy (or a current Bullsheet, number is in the mailing address). If you are the chief cook of your team, it'd be registered under your number. If you are assisting with another team, you shouldn't be the chief cook of record.

I would like to think that it would prevent stacking... If that's the correct term. If you are a very good team that regularly GC's and you go into a smaller comp that still has a decent purse, you could submit your team and another team which you aren't the head cook for points but you run two tents and two smokers side by side and do the meat all the same. Than when awards come and you and your partners teams finish 1 and 2 and take over 70% of the cash.

Not trying to be an antagonist here, but there are three other guys that cook with me at times. If this rule was not in place we could cook as two or three teams in a contest.

There is a husband/wife who does something similar in IBCA. You are never quite sure which pit the meat came off. Funny thing is that IBCA pits (intended) all entries against each other. Wife's entry 6th, husband's 7th. Damn near every time.

Edited to add, I am slow...

Try this question then:

Team A has four guys.
Team B is a solo cook.
At a contest, A & B are set up next to each other.

If one of the guys from Team A runs the boxes for Team B to help him out, is that a rules violation?

I think the rule is clear.

Two teams can't have the same "chicken guy" cooking chicken at a given contest... However the "chicken guy" can cook for one team one weekend and a different team the next...

Try this question then:

Team A has four guys.
Team B is a solo cook.
At a contest, A & B are set up next to each other.

If one of the guys from Team A runs the boxes for Team B to help him out, is that a rules violation?

I've been at comps where this happens. My team mates have volunteered, but always turned down. Running boxes, in my humble opinion, is not being an assistant cook.

As far as being the head guy of one team and an assistant on another at the same comp, I feel that is a violation of the rules. Not to mention, how could you find time to do your own cook AND help out with someone elses? I have barely enough time for my own, and that is with a team of 2 or 3 experienced guys.

I am not sure that this matters, but these would be two separate teams at two distinct sites and distinct units for cooking at the contest.

But it is not allowed, so I wont be trying it. I have not been looking for a way to circumvent the rules, just trying to figure out why the rule is in effect. kenthanson response is as plausible explanation as I have seen and short an explanation from KCBS is as close as I may get.

Last edited:
Back