Where to go from Bandera

WiscoKid

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I am just looking for some insight on what I should be looking for as my next step from a Bandera. I know it depends on what volume I will be cooking, certainly. I would like a stick burner. I would like a unit I can pull with my truck. I would like to be able to do 20 or so butts at a time. I have family in Alabama, so I would be able to head south if I need to to get into better used bbq pit territory. Any and all advice would be great. Thank you so much for your time=)

Kris

Check out Craigslist and a few other forums. Remember you should be able to cook on any equipment if you have developed your pit skills, this brings us to the fun side of BBQ, practice, practice, practice. I would try to find a friend that knows something about pits, and take them with you when looking at them, bigger in not always better.
Dave

Have your family look in their area. Look for thick steel, insulated if you are going to use it in WI, 28"x60" or some variation should give you enough room for that amount of meat.

Check out craigs list for some used or even new stick burners. I have RF stick burner which is the best smoker i have ever had . I would not trade it for anything else . You can get a used Lang or someone who builds a RF smoker . You can even get a offset that has tuning plates which I heard also works well .

Call Dave Klose and order a MOAB. I cooked on it yesterday and the ole girl holds temps like a champ and cooks up a ton of great food. :thumb: Or if you want more versatility, get a BYC (Backyard Chef).

Thank you all so much for the advice. I shall keep my eyes peeled until I find the right deal =)

Used trailer pits do come up once in a while in this area, but not too often. You may want to set up a CL search for Alabama and that area.

I went from a Bandera to a Klose 20x50 BYC. I love it! If I had bought it new, I would have opted up to a 22x50. Just an extra inch or 2 would have been nice a few times. I found mine used with a nationwide Craigslist search and called in a favor to get it home.

Back