Damn kids -> hog cook Friday

Lake Dogs

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Kids (they're probably as old as 1/2 of the brethren) are in town from Denver for a few weeks, and I'm not sure the parking brake was set on the car before they were screaming for BBQ. I guess it's a good reputation... Anyway, I ordered 2 fresh hams and 2 whole shoulders (+-85lbs) and will probably grab 4 to 6 slabs of babybacks to tomorrow night pick-up. Looks like I'll be busy Friday.

Got a new camera a few weeks back; nice Canon DSLR. Think I'll see if I can't take a few pics wuff a damn...

PRON coming.

I guess it's a good thing; I've had a hankerin' for some good Q for a while; just lookin' for a good reason. One of the kids are one that had 7th helpings on my last 4th of July Party. The party this year had to be moved to the 20th and they wont be able to make it this year, so this is their party...

Kids (they're probably as old as 1/2 of the brethren) are in town from Denver for a few weeks, and I'm not sure the parking brake was set on the car before they were screaming for BBQ. I guess it's a good reputation... Anyway, I ordered 2 fresh hams and 2 whole shoulders (+-85lbs) and will probably grab 4 to 6 slabs of babybacks to tomorrow night pick-up. Looks like I'll be busy Friday.

Got a new camera a few weeks back; nice Canon DSLR. Think I'll see if I can't take a few pics wuff a damn...

PRON coming.

your lucky. my kid would have set the parking brake on the car and drove off with it on and left it that way for a week lol

Your kids are lucky!

How are you cooking the hams, Hance? I'm smoking one this weekend.

Just like the whole shoulders; I'm "pretending" its a whole hog, only that I get to move the parts one by one rather than all at once. Without a head, loins, no spare ribs and no bacon, we'll still be in the 100lb range when adding a few racks of babybacks... Plus, if the shoulders are done a little before the hams I'll remove them and rest them just that much longer. It's a "cheatin'" hog cook; definitely NOT whole... :)

Will be using my many-times-published injection, and using my long published rub, smoked using clean seasoned hickory.

Went to the store to pick up the ingredients that infernoooo judged a few years back; my (I suppose now) world famous (he's in Australia) sauce recipe. The kids love it by itself; say they could drink it straight....

Storm coming in so this will be short. Party of 8 grew today to 16 possibly 18 people. No worries, I have a bad habit of cooking WAY too much. Picked up 91# of meat. It's on ice; top cooler below:

Made some Lake Dogs Competition Sauce tonight. Pic with ingredients:

Jonboy, search for infernooo in the search, look for his sauce "contest". I've listed most of my recipes there and he's actually cooked them and posted his critique.

Ready to make some injection (will also use some LakeDogs rub; not shown):

Will pan and foil at 4.5 hour mark. Pans below. They're extra long lasagna pans; notice the jars behind it to give you an idea of how large. Each one will hold 25+- lbs of meat:

Prep and set-up done. Need to endure this storm coming in...

See y'all tomorrow.

Good morning one and all. Got up around 5, lit the fire, prepared the meat. Here's a few pics around 5:30am and then again around 6:30am. Apparently I dont have steady hands at 5:30am; notice pics. They suck...

Ok, meat out and washed:

Injected and Rubbed (that's 2 good sized hams and 2 good sized whole shoulders):

On the smoker at 6:30, pics here of sweet blue. Sorry, these pics are a bit blurry because of the humidity and the difference in temps inside to out (camera lens fogging):

Ok, got a crazy idea when I realized I always have these ingredients on-hand. So, bonus points to the first person who can tell me what I'm making here:

Recipe:
1 1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup of your favorite hot sauce
1 Tablespoon (TBS) Paprika
1 TBS Black Pepper
1 TBS Kitchen Salt
2 TBS Yellow Mustard (French)

Mix well

FYI: Sea Salt is significantly stronger than table/kitchen salt, so I used only 2/3rd of a TBS. Thanks Boshizzle, this stuff tastes great even before it sets up...

Back