BBQ Injuries...what's yours?

BenRias

Got Wood.
Reaction score
I shared this on another thread, but I thought it might make a good discussion.

Here's my injury:

The short version is last Memorial Day, Costco had just switched over to St louis cut ribs. No problem, I thought. So I bought them and cooked them. I thought the cut looked a little sloppy along the bone/cartilage line, but whatever...ribs are ribs, right?

On my second bite on my first rib of the holiday, a spear shaped shard of bone shattered my tooth!!!! I'm not talking a tiny bone like you'd find in sausage or a bigger piece like a burger. This was a SPEAR SHAPED SHARD! It stood north and south as I began chewing and CRASH!!! The shard shot upward into my tooth and split it into three piece down to the root!

Bones are always a part of the eating experience...and maybe it's unfair to blame the additional sawing off of the cartilage end of the SLCs...but who wouldn't have an aversion to such a painful accident?!

Because of the holiday, it took two days to see any dentist on an emergency visit to temporarily patch me up (nearby dental school...a resident did the job, and not a good one.) Then another 6 weeks before I could get into my dentist. I still have much sensitivity on that tooth...like even if a tiny piece of peppercorn gets chewed just right...ouch!!!

So, again, maybe my "beef" with SLCs is unjustified, but as anyone who's had a bad experience with tequila can tell you...one bad experience can permanently ruin a good thing. (in fairness, I got back on the tequila horse pretty quickly...ribs? I haven't touched them in over a year.)

The other day I caught a firefly (the orange sparks from the burning charcoal dust) in the coner of my eye lid. That one left a mark...

when i almost cooked my knee cuz i didn't realize that kingsford comp burned a lot hotter.

Eww. Nothin on the cue, but once when I was on The Brethren site, I opened a beer with the back of a knife. And about and inch of the back of my thumb. Sweet.

A couple of times I stepped on burning pieces of charcoal, that I accidentally dropped on the ground without knowing it. Burned right through the bottom of my shoe. I kept saying to myself "why do I keep smelling burning rubber?" Ruined a couple of pairs of shoes that way. Now I just wear cheap shoes.

Being the loving dog owner that I am, I gave my Duncan a porcine scapula which he promptly left on the garage floor at the bottom of the step.

I found it with my left foot.

The cracking sound made me think I broke it as I fell to the garage floor. I managed to crawl back in the house on my hands and knees.

First time I ever had an injury take me to the ground like that.

I've had a cheese sausage burst and send molten cheese over one side of my face just missing my eye. I've burnt myself on numerous occasions with alcohol involved when lighting charcoal.

Burnt my left forearm on Memorial Day on my OTG. Looking at turkey on smoker, and the lid decided to take a pit stop on it. Didn't feel full effects until next morning, when I was half sober! Ye-ouch!

969072_10151478789343160_575205814_n.jpg

I've taken off most of the hair on my right arm and part of my left eyebrow in a back flash from my BGE when it was new (and so was I) :-D

Plus, it's not a competition weekend if I'm not bleeding somewhere :rolleyes.

But, my most famous was a few years ago. LMAJ won't let me forget this (along with several others) :-D

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52752

I had mine many years ago when I was being taught how to cook and prep ribs. I was peeling spares with a knife that was actually sharp and...well... you know what happened. Slick hands, sharp knife, soft meat on the inside of the thumb.:oops:

I have burned the hair off of my arms a couple of times because I forgot to properly burp my Primo when cooking pizza. I have stepped on the odd small lit piece of charcoal a time or two.

I've set the chimney down before and backed into it while wearing shorts. Seared my fat calf, that did :mad:

Non-existent knuckle hair opening my BGE for a 600 degree pizza cook.
Needless to say, welding gloves and "burping" my egg are second nature now...

Back